Newb Module question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubermetaldood

Reaction score
Hey there. New to the forum. I'm from Texas and I love to play mostly rock, metal and blues. Main influences are mostly Iron Maiden, Joe Satriani, Michael Schenker, and Eric Johnson even though I can hardly play their stuff.

I'm the new owner of a Randall RM100 which is currently loaded with Blackface, SL+ and XTC modules. I exchanged the plexi module for the SL+ yesterday but think it was a mistake since it sounds almost identical to the XTC module except smoother and more low mids. It sounds like a smooth saturated hot rod plexi, whereas the XTC sounds more like a hot rod JCM 800 with a bit more cut and less low mids.

That's at least how my ears perceive it. I don't want to sacrifice having a low gain Marshall style module so I think I want to take the SL+ back for the Plexi, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll either keep the XTC and get the plexi or keep the SL+ and exchange the XTC. Perhaps I can rely on your experience a little bit if you guys can help me decide which module to keep.

What do you think between the SL+ and XTC?

Which model SL+ do you have (silver plate, silver plate with black stripe, black plate)?

I have not owned the XTC, but given what it is modeled after, it seems strange to me that it would more closely resemble the JCM800. The black plate SL+ has the JCM800 modification stock & in my opinion is close to spot on to the JCM800. I had a sil plate SL+ that was not modded & that sounds more like what you are describing from the SL+ you have.

I would say that, if in your opinion, the XTC gives you that JCM800 tone & your SL+ does not, take the SL+ back for the Plexi. It would be easier/more economical than having the SL+ modded.

In my opinion the Plexi didn't have enough gain, & I am not at the stage of messing with OD pedals or clean boosts. Maybe down the road I'll look into this. I am on the path to Fig syndrome & needing another RM4. **** bills have to be paid 1st. :x

If you're only using three modules....I would seriously look into getting a Salvation Mashall+ that will cover your SL+, Plexi JTM, , JCM and even JVM series...

The XTC should go to Sacred Groove to get the Red/Blue Mod....It will make it a gain machine....

The clean I'd suggest is a stock clean - they're cheap and easy to come by in the classifieds...

My $.02

Hamner1 said:
Which model SL+ do you have (silver plate, silver plate with black stripe, black plate)?

I have not owned the XTC, but given what it is modeled after, it seems strange to me that it would more closely resemble the JCM800. The black plate SL+ has the JCM800 modification stock & in my opinion is close to spot on to the JCM800. I had a sil plate SL+ that was not modded & that sounds more like what you are describing from the SL+ you have.

I would say that, if in your opinion, the XTC gives you that JCM800 tone & your SL+ does not, take the SL+ back for the Plexi. It would be easier/more economical than having the SL+ modded.

In my opinion the Plexi didn't have enough gain, & I am not at the stage of messing with OD pedals or clean boosts. Maybe down the road I'll look into this. I am on the path to Fig syndrome & needing another RM4. **** bills have to be paid 1st. :x

I have a 2006 JCM 800 reissue which is what I have to compare to. I had a 1959HW plexi for a couple of years. Boosted with a pedal and with some volume, my 1959 sounded a lot like the SL+ but not quite as compressed.

To me the XTC sounds more like my JCM 800 than the SL+, but it may be because I'm still a novice player and my ear hasn't developed that much yet.

I'm thinking with the plexi module I can use an OD like a Maxon OD820 and then use the SL+ for saturated lead tones.

All my modules are black by the way - black plates with black chickenhead knobs. According to the salesman, it's the latest and greatest RM100 model.

Mattfig said:
If you're only using three modules....I would seriously look into getting a Salvation Mashall+ that will cover your SL+, Plexi JTM, , JCM and even JVM series...

The XTC should go to Sacred Groove to get the Red/Blue Mod....It will make it a gain machine....

The clean I'd suggest is a stock clean - they're cheap and easy to come by in the classifieds...

My $.02

Thanks for the mod tips. One of the coolest things I've discovered are all the mods available for Randall modules. At this point I want to make the best of stock modules and see about mods later.

There was one mod that I heard on youtube that sounded incredible but I can't remember the name and I can't find the video any more. I think he called it the dragon mod but I'm not sure. I would love to have that one.

One module I would love to have is a really authentic sounding rectifier mod. Any idea what the best mod for that is? How good is the stock treadplate?