NGD: Washburn Maya DD61

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimosity

Reaction score
Tracking number says it's supposed to arrive on Monday...

I'm not a fan of odd shaped guitars at all...funny since my very first guitar was a Fender Squier Katana...though I did have a Jackson Warrior that I felt very comfortable playing...but it was just too wild of a shape overall for me to keep it. I'm not really a fan of any other body shapes much; especially V's...they just feel too awkward on me...but the shape of the Maya looked very much in-between a comfortable shape and interesting/different at the same time.

Father's Day was coming up and I told my wife I wanted one...she looked around and found they were $400+ (I didn't want an expensive one) which was more than I wanted her to spend...so then I managed to get a new one on eBay for $295, which I felt was a good deal.

It has 'Egnater' pickups, but after checking with Jeff Hilligan (Egnater), I was informed that what Washburn was putting in some of their guitars with the Egnater name on them was NOT something they (Egnater) approved of necessarily...I guess they didn't live up to their expectations or something.
Anyways; I've got a set of EMGs waiting to go in it anyways.

Pics when it arrives!
Anybody else have one of these? I've heard very little from anyone that has actually played or owned one.

Well, yesterday my new Maya DD61 arrived.
It was brand new, in the box.
Came with a gig bag, which had a cool hook built in that you can hang the gig bag from.

Right out of the box, the guitar was set up very well and actually still in tune, which was surprising. The Buzz Feiten tuning does make a difference in the clarity of chords it seems when you're playing in different spots on the neck, it just sounded and felt more 'in tune' than you're used to.
The action was just a tad bit higher than I would have set it up myself, but not so much that it would bother me to leave it as is.

The guitar felt very solid and well made; better than a lot of guitars at this price point. I own a lot of higher end guitars (a few USA Peavey Wolfgangs, several ESP Lynch Custom Shops and several Ibanez RG5xx's) and I also own a few low end guitars (OLP Petrucci, Switch, LTD); so I know the difference and the DD61 feels much more solid and well constructed than any of the lower end guitars, close to the quality of some of my higher end guitars and just about on par with the Ibanez RG5xx series in terms of quality.

The pickups in this guitar are marked as 'Egnater', but I've been told that Egnater did not approve these pickups. Which I can believe, because the pickups are the only part of the guitar that are lacking.
While they sound decent for big AC/DC style chording, with a lot of roundness and bass, they seemed to lack the balls needed for actually playing Disturbed-style modern rock...
I almost never feel satisfied with pickups other than EMGs though, so maybe I'm biased...but EMGs will be going in this one.
All in all, it's a great guitar that I can't wait to take on stage and see how it handles; but I'm quite pleased so far.

Here's pics:
http://www.americanhc.us/maya