Pete 1086 and a Modded SL+ Clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Just messing around with the drums and levels and what not thoughtid share since it gettig to be so easy to do stuff. One day ill take all my clips and complete them LOL.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7304773

I made 2 tracks of each module and panned them 75% to each side, It was just a trial really. EX:

SL+ TRK1 75% L
SL+ TRK2 75% R
1086 TRK3 75%L
1086 TRk4 75% R

Which was kinda cool in a way but redundant. Im gonna try some new things with it. I appretiate all the input any advice is greatly accepted.

Also I think the drums could come down a bit, any one have thoughts on this for me?

Thanks.

Here's what works for me

Hard pan SL+1 all the way Left volume 100%
SL+2 pan 90% L, volume 50%

opposite for 1086

That will open up space for the drums which could be panned from 9 oclock to 3 oclock

This will also allow a good listen to the mods with more separation- keep those crunch guitars on the outside

Good God, I haven't had my studio up and running since November, maybe today the video monitor that I need will arrive

so mono VS stereo?

how does this work.

like when i set the track up i have the option of mono or stereo L or R.

I should be using stereo?

I thought If I used mono i could adjust this with the panning vs just straight up left or right. But I am an ameture at this so please help me make great recordings.

Cranky ray, Since im using a drum plugin how would I or should I pan the drums? I just leave them up center since they are generally in stereo.

Thanks guys.

the drums are 2 track? If so, not the center, the center should be for kick and snare, but chances are, it's already mixed that way in a 2 track- so go 9oclock 3 oclock or 10 to 4- that will be plenty wide enough

Leave that center and offcenter space to throw down some wicked leads

The drum track should be stereo and I believe the internal EZDrummer tracks are already panned for stereo use.

The guitar tracks are fine being mono. It sounds like that's what you're doing and panning accordingly.

I'm guessing that when you listen to your clips in Cubase everything sounds how you want it to. But, when you bounce the files down to a 2tk mix (i.e. mp3), it ends up being mono. Am I correct?

I haven't used Cubase for awhile, so I don't remember the exact terminology it uses.

CrankyRay,

So if i read you right your saying I should be using 2 tracks for drums, so double them up then pan them 25%L and 25%R?

Im gonna try this tonight.

So if i do multiple guitars, Lets say i want 2 modules, one for left and one for right, 2 tracks each. then leads with a 3rd module up the middle. Is this correct?

I have heard some ppl do multiple takes on the lead and pan just left or right of center on 2 of the tracks and the one up center and this makes for a fuller lead tone, is this accurate?

SacredGroove said:
The drum track should be stereo and I believe the internal EZDrummer tracks are already panned for stereo use.

The guitar tracks are fine being mono. It sounds like that's what you're doing and panning accordingly.

I'm guessing that when you listen to your clips in Cubase everything sounds how you want it to. But, when you bounce the files down to a 2tk mix (i.e. mp3), it ends up being mono. Am I correct?

I haven't used Cubase for awhile, so I don't remember the exact terminology it uses.

I can export the whole file into either mono or stereo, I just do mono cuz its faster, but im gonna try stereo from now on. I still have a lot to learn.

TheHunter said:
SacredGroove said:

I can export the whole file into either mono or stereo, I just do mono cuz its faster, but im gonna try stereo from now on. I still have a lot to learn.

Definitely do stereo. If you do mono, you won't hear any of your panning.

crankyrayhanky said:
Here's what works for me

opposite for 1086

That will open up space for the drums which could be panned from 9 oclock to 3 oclock

This will also allow a good listen to the mods with more separation- keep those crunch guitars on the outside

Good God, I haven't had my studio up and running since November, maybe today the video monitor that I need will arrive

Nice advice I might try that for my next recording......your recordings sound real big.....the guitars idea is intriguing..

Nice advice I might try that for my next recording......your recordings sound real big.....the guitars idea is intriguing..

Thanks! The key is to play those guitars that are stacked hard L as identical as you can, make it sound like 1 guitar that happens to be HUGE...then guitars R can play something complimentary. In the end, sound like 2 guitars hard L/R but actually 4+ guitars. You can suck those complimentary guitars out of the verses, bring them in for big chorus, stuff like that. Nickelback approach to guitar recording (I don't like them, but recognize the recording techniques)

Sounds even better when you pick a module to take the upfront volume, compliment it with another mod- my complimentary mod seems to be Brown a lot because of the cool mid range clarity goes well with a brutal hi gain crunch mod (SL, Recto...)

So I assume that one side Left or Right will be the main guitar and then the oppostie for the melody/harmony tones right. What if there is no alternate riff and you just use another guitar to simulate the second guitar basically to beef up the tone. Do you still follow these guidlines. Also you said you can pull guitars in and out during the chorus parts, doing this so it does not sound like a volume boost in the music would be hard to achieve, how do you recomend I do this?

Whats the best way to recor DI Bass? 2 tracks panned like the guitars? or one up the middle? Thanks again for all of your help.

So I assume that one side Left or Right will be the main guitar and then the oppostie for the melody/harmony tones right.
Well it depends on the tune, but I often play similar rhythm lines with the Guitar R at times playing minor differences- I squeal there, and harmonic there..guitarL may just hold out the chord, or stop. So it's not necessarily a harmony/melody GuitarR, if it goes into melody-solo land, that often goes in the center/off center. No rules, just guidelines to think about

What if there is no alternate riff and you just use another guitar to simulate the second guitar basically to beef up the tone. Do you still follow these guidlines.
often Yes

Also you said you can pull guitars in and out during the chorus parts, doing this so it does not sound like a volume boost in the music would be hard to achieve, how do you recomend I do this?
the guitars that come in during the chorus are the ones that are 50% or much less, so the impact is felt but it's not in your face; good thought, you don't want to distract the listener with an onslaught of Crunch, you just want it to sound a bit fuller/meaner at times.

When stacking guitars, dial back the gain a bit...and I'm talking heavy hard rock, less gain with stacked guitars will sit better than you think in the mix...easy to advise, hard to do for us gainheads

Whats the best way to recor DI Bass? 2 tracks panned like the guitars? or one up the middle? Thanks again for all of your help.
One jsut off center usually does the trick...key being even playing technique so as not to have to go crazy with compressor settings...which I always use afterwards on bass, but never on med-hi gain guitars (they're compressed enough)

Hope this helps ideas!

crankyrayhanky said:
Here's what works for me

opposite for 1086

This right here :D
TheHunter said:
I would personally try to do mine in the middle, but have two outs for it panned like, 5% in either direction for beef. But I've never done recording like that before, so I couldn't say xD