proper EQ'ing for the Recto module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
high this is my first post, i didn't even know there was a forum board dedicated to owners of the MTS series!!! this is awesome! :D

i just got my RM50 in december and it's pretty much perfect. i LOVE it!!

ok so besides my lil intro, here's my question

what would be a proper EQ for the Recto module to get a really saturated lead style tone? i mean i want it to be somewhere in the realms of buckethead lead and Vai lead.

i do have a Bad Monkey for tightening or boosting a lil if that helps.

I don't know Buckethead lead but Vai is really smooth, quite dark and a little mid scooped at the amp I think but he uses pickups that have a very accented mid sound though.

I'd start with everything at 12 o'clock and dial dark....add more bass, knock the treble back a little or turn the Bright Switch to the left then add mids to taste. The mid will affect your cut, sustain and everything ...mids on the Recto module are quite noticeable.easy on the treble if you want it to stay smooth rather than the agressive nature of the Recto.

I'd dial a little more bass on on the module then use the bad monkey with the drive almost off, level 1 o'clock then adjust the eq on the pedal to get the character you want.

My favorite pre-amp tube by far for this module is the Ruby 12ax7c .. which is a re-labelled Chinese c8 or c9...do not like the stock EH tubes at all..at a pinch I leave one in v2. JJ ECC803s or ECC83s are great for darkening and smoothing out too.

thanks for the tips.

how much noticeable difference is there in changing the stock preamp tubes of the modules?

i have a Clean module and Recto module ATM.

what sound characteristics would be changed if i upgraded the Recto's to something nicer? and what would that be?

slash_rocks2005 said:
thanks for the tips.

how much noticeable difference is there in changing the stock preamp tubes of the modules?

i have a Clean module and Recto module ATM.

what sound characteristics would be changed if i upgraded the Recto's to something nicer? and what would that be?

EHs sound a but harsh and sterile to my ears but check your modules, you may have different tubes..some shipped with JJ ECC83s and some even with Chinese tubes.

the Chinese tend to be higher gain and warmer than the EHs without sounding harsh or getting too loose in the lows.

I'd probably look elsewhere first - tone controls, speakers and then tweak with tubes if you can't find what you want..there's also guitar and pickups but that's more expensive to play with :D

as far as guitar and pups i'm satisfied overall. i've got an epi G-400 in which i upgraded the pups to Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz and a killswitch. i've changed the volume pots to keep static noises down when i roll them up or down.

i guess even w/ the nicest pups and electronics, a more sustainful guitar mite help.

i'm looking into getting an epi Custom Les Paul so maybe that would help.

Jazz pickups should be good in the neck for smooth I would have thought...tho' I've never owned an SG or SG style guitar.