Randall 1987 module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I pulled out an old Randall module and it says 1987 on it. I did a little research and it was apparently a Scott Ian inspired mod from some Marshall. I must have had a base mod done on it at some time by Rob at JF or something. The faceplate is all silver and looks like a Marshall and it has Marshall knobs. I know the original had a black and white kind of swirly faceplated from what I have seen online. Does anyone know anything about this mod? It's interesting how upper middy it is. If I turn all of the EQ down and start with the mids, it only dial in uppers. So with the bass pretty high I have the mids at about 2-3 and that is still pretty piercing. The treble adds a little sparkle. Is this normal for this mod? Maybe it would be different in a 4X12 cab as I am using 1X12 to try it. Any info would be helpful....

Those Scott Ian modules seem very very uncommon. The word I heard was that the MTS license ended before they really got them into production.

I thought I heard that Dave Friedman was involved with them but I don't know for sure. I've long wondered how they all sounded...

Malcolm, 1987, "The Nuts"

Do you have a Foglifter+ installed in your amp? I've noticed that some modules have piercing highs with the NFB anywhere higher than 12 oclock. On some I have to do even lower.

I have had all of them this year…
The Nuts was crazy much gain and able to deliver fat metal tones in standard tuning and also in drop A. Well adjustable mids…you can scoop em out or add a lot, so no one trick pony. What drove me crazy was the very high amount of noise, this thing produced.
The 1987 FOR ME was is the weakest from the trio. Somehow a bit thin and also some gain left desired. It was the first I sold…after some days. Couldn’t get warm with this. At this time I had about 20-22 modules…and most of them, that were similar, sounded better.
The Malcolm…I just sold it! And only because I have shot great Tone X captures from it! This one IS a one trick pony…but the trick is SOOO good! It’s just pure Malcolm, right! Throw 3 open chords (G D A) and you‘re on stage with AC/DC. This module has not a lot of gain. You max it and you‘re there. Fat bass and mids, just how we all like it…and you can throw a boost in front and get easily in hard rock territory. I cannot say enough good things about this module…just like the Judge…but that is another story😉