Recording Techniques For Metal

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insightibanez

Reaction score
Heres an Excellent tool that has helped me acheive that SICK METAL TONE within the studio:

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

I only saw about a minute of this video and all I can say is AMEN!
I dont even play this style of music but his advice is very wise..if only more guys would listen.

One problem with recording metal these days that I hear is mud, even on professionally done stuff. Much of the time I can barely make out the vocals even though they sound like the Cookie Monster, they should stand in front of the mix. Lead guitar work should be in front of the rhythm work. Solos should jump out. They don't. Everyone is thinking scooped mids for good sound.

I go into a store and they're demonstrating an amp to me. I like to play metal, so they instantly scoop the mids on the Mesa or Soldano or Diezel or 6505. This is fine for rhythm. But when they start shredding lead in their demo I'll turn up the mids and drop the gain back so they stand out. Okay, so I'm thinking old school 80's and early 90s stuff. It still works.

There are some great melodies in these songs you don't even get to hear over the mud.

I watched the first 10 minutes of this and I'm pretty well on board with this guy. I actually swapped the EMGs out of my Hellraiser because I felt they were too much and one dimensional. The Blackouts are a little better, but a good passive like a Screamin' Demon and a JB will do the job quite well. Basically for recording metal I avoid anything that has the word "Metal" on it or in the description.

Julia said:
Basically for recording metal I avoid anything that has the word "Metal" on it or in the description.
Funny you should say that... I can't talk myself into parting with my Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. My only complaint with it is that I have to turn the tone knob all the way down. Having done so, and cranking the gain to max, I think it's a rather passable "metal" tone. Certainly sounds to me like Iommi circa 1971.

Brahma module with the gain at 2:00, Bass at noon Mids and Treble at 1:30, bright switch on, level at 1:30, MV @ 2:00, presence and density at 10:30, hot plate engaged at -8 db, and for solos hit it with a TS808 drive @ 10:00, tone @ 2:00, level @ 2:00. This sounds very 70s Black Sabbath to me.

With the Grail and Mr. Scary the TS808 really can give teh brutalz with the gain on the modules at only 2:00. Granted these module can do it on their own with the gain cranked, but then you have nowhere to go for a solo boost except to feedbackland.

most people's idea of metal and how to achieve good tones is so outdated and irrelavent these days. at some point they always go back to 80's and 90's and now iommi 1971. its 2009 now and i don't hear much mud at all these days, limp biscuit has been gone for awile as well as all their buddy's. i play a seven string in a and there nothing muddy about my tone or my other guitar player 's

maximus1 said:
most people's idea of metal and how to achieve good tones is so outdated and irrelavent these days. at some point they always go back to 80's and 90's and now iommi 1971. its 2009 now and i don't hear much mud at all these days, limp biscuit has been gone for awile as well as all their buddy's. i play a seven string in a and there nothing muddy about my tone or my other guitar player 's

PLUS 1.

I like the old school days, But is anyone hearing what the new bands sound like, not muddy and the solos come at you like a pissed of wife with a knife. Beauty is in the ear of the shredder. I may not like what everyone else does. I play with a guitarist on ocassion who uses a LINE 6 Bogner, (one sound amp really) and his precense is up to his neck and his mids are so low you could tie your shoe laces with them, and the treble is so high the dogs start howling, it that old muddy sound JULIA mentioned, and I keep telling him less precense, more mids, drop the treble, and drop the gain too if your gonna get close to any of the sounds you like.

His sound would sound like *** recorded, but my 2 RM100s are dialed in to any sound I want. gotta love it!

maximus1 said:
most people's idea of metal and how to achieve good tones is so outdated and irrelavent these days.
Insulting much?

When did I say anything about Tony Iommi's sound in Black Sabbath being a "good, modern tone"?

It's a good tone. It's not a modern tone. So what? I didn't come here posting with my own opinions regarding the "relevance" of cookie-monster-throat-noise.

not trying to insult ,i just meant to say that people talk about metal and modern sounds of it and it always go back to oldness at some point, which couldn't be any farther away from modern metal than disco and pop imo. sorry if i offended someone :? there is so many amazing new bands out there with tons of talent but people not in the scene can't go past metallica or pantera at best when trying to describe modern metal tones. about the only guys i know scooping all their mids these days are playin crate stealth's and vtm's with an mt-2 for distortion :lol: want to talk bees farting in a can :roll:

Black Sabbath is great classic 70s metal. then there was the 80s metal. then the 90s, and today. I like groups like In Flames, CoB, DT, etc., but some of the mixing done on some of the recordings is horrid. Live is a different matter.

I'll pull out IF's "Whoracle" and the mix is terrible. Music is good, but the mixing.....

Even I will point out the atrocious tone of the guitars of another band I liked, Twisted Sister.

Decent songwriting, great hooks, and I think Dee Snider was an incredible vocalist in the day, but the tone of the guitars? Wretched. No balls whatsoever. Snider carried that band, no question in my mind.

YEa this video is awesome to get you started...but there are a lot of tricks that people learn over the years. Like Adam D from killswitch, you KNOW when he's produced an album, he has a signature smashing tone on all the guitars. My dream is to get an album done by him

Not a fan of the vid, so I will keep silent.

Well, except about the Auralex... please.. PLEASE do even a little homework before wasting time and money. I would be more than happy to help the truly interested out in getting started, rather than make shaky decisions.

That was a great vid man. I don't know jack squat about recording so it was pretty informative. My whole dilemna really lies in the recording software itself. Miking cabs doesn't seem to hard but I never have enough time to sit down with the software to get anywhere with it. I need a real simplistic setup so I can just get some sh!t down.