RM100 & Boss GT Pro

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?rd?gv

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Boss GT Pro, but I am not shure if this device is compatible to my RM100 in the way i want it to be.

I would like to have some of the effects in front of the amp and others in the loop. For example:

Guitar --> Compressor effect of GT Pro --> RM100 --> reverb from GT Pro in the Loop of the amp

I am quite confused with this, would be nice if somebody can help me!

Apparently the Pro version of the GT-10 has +4 db capability which means you can run it in the Randall FX loops without a -15 db pad. I think you can run it with the four cable method which allows you to put stuff in front and in the loop.

You'll also need a floor midi controller like a Ground Control or something along those lines. Line 6 won't work -- it's all proprietary stuff.

I'm thinking of getting the amp modded with a -15 db pad at least on the serial loop. I don't know if this is possible. Until that happens it's everything in front.

If that GT-pro has the same kind of routing abilities as my old GX-700 you can go

from guitar -> Boss guitar in / Boss FX-Send (set to series) -> RM100 guitar in / RM100 send -> Boss FX-Return / Boss output -> RM100 FX-Return

and place the FX-loop block in your GT-Pro between your compressor, wah and your time/modulation effects

never played this unit. but it's my experience these things (compressors, all in one units) never improve, only destroy the tone...be sure to A/B

Let us know what happens...

sounds nice. But I am not so shure i should buy the GT Pro. Its fucking expensive (around 700 euros here)
i would also need a midi foot kontroller for it. According to Boss the Roland FC200 should be used, but this one is not available any more. On the other hand the FC300 is not fully compatible with the GT-Pro and costs 400euros again...

so all in all this muli-effect rack solution will cost me over 1000euros ...
Are there other good multieffect solutions?
I also thought of the G-Major 2, but with a price of almost 500euros it is not much cheaper than the GT-Pro and has not that much effects and possibilities on board.

Sorry, rack gear is expensive, that's just the way it is

You could also try the used market, and a behringer FCB1010 would be about 200 euros

?rd?gv?r said:
I would like to have some of the effects in front of the amp and others in the loop. For example:

Guitar --> Compressor effect of GT Pro --> RM100 --> reverb from GT Pro in the Loop of the amp

This is perfectly feasible. I don't have an RM100... Ihave an RM4 and a poweramp but I run it in a similar way...

Guitar --> GT Pro (Wah / Compressor) --> RM4 --> GT Pro (Chorus, Delay, Reverb) --> Marshall 9200 poweramp

I also use the FC200 and it is a nice solid piece of kit. It's great for the GT-Pro but you can't program it as much as you can the FCB1010.

FWIW I've played through the RM4 both with and without the GT-Pro and I can't hear any tone sucking, but there again I've spent hours tweaking it to be as neutral as possible.

You can probably get TC Electronics cheaper than we can. Grab a G-major and a Tech 21 midi moose or other midi footswitch.

BTW the Lexicon MX300 has a great reverb.

Ricey said:
What is a -15db pad? Why is it necessary?

Rack/studio equipment run on +4dB levels while pedals -mostly designed to use before an amp-
using the low level -15dB (guitar) signal

pumping 19dB more into a pedal will result in unwanted (and bad sounding) distortion
So you need a device (a -15dB Pad) to lower the hot signal to usable levels

Honestly, at first I tried to do it the same way (I have a GT-8 ) and it didn't work for me. Even though you can make it work in the loop because you have a GT-Pro, I tought that I couldn't get the same organic (for lack of a better word) tone as I would get straight in. Believe me, I tried and even with a Line Level Shifter in the loop, it wasn't the same.

I tried booth loops, even going straight in without anything in the loop, and finally went back to stomps. I don't have as many options now (unless I tap dance a lot because I have lots of pedals, too much I guess...) but it sounds better and I don't worry about effects that much since its harder to use them that way.

Bottom line: Better sounds, more fun playing and less worrying about details!

?rd?gv?r said:
"....I am not so shure i should buy the GT Pro. Its f&*king expensive (around 700 euros here)...

...so all in all this muli-effect rack solution will cost me over 1000euros ..."

Sounds like you should change your hobby to something more affordable.
I've already spent nearly $50,000 dollars on equipment since 1978 (when I started playing guitar) of which at LEAST $20,000 was spent on amps.

Maybe get a better job? Cut some other luxuries out..like, TV, DVDs, eating... :eek:
Maybe you can do like a lot of American guitar players do...
Get a rich girlfriend! :lol: :lol: :lol: