RM20 or RM80 for practice amp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, sorry to butt in to someone else's topic, but I've also been thinking of getting an RM20. Would this amp sound good at low levels? I'm talking television watching or talking levels. Is the lowest volume setting even as low as that? I know some 20 watt amps and the lowest setting is actually pretty loud.....

Any input is appreicated. Thanks!

I have an rm20h with a 1x12 cab, It sounds wicked at low volumes, though it sounds better with a good amount of volume (loud talking) but yeah it would work well for you.

What about a hot plate attenuator? Or you could always put in a low wattage speaker. Those are two ways to get great tones at low volume levels.

installing a low wattage speaker would be a great way to learn how to replace speakers. You need a low SPL speaker, not wattage. Two different things.

I don't think most of you in this thread realize how loud just a few watts are. I've owned 1/2 watt amps that cranked into a 4x12 could be heard in my driveway with my doors shut.

It's a master volume amp, I wouldn't worry about it. If you get very much power amp distortion going from it being cranked, you're just going to add mush to your sound. I'd get the RM20 because it's cheaper, small, and sounds great. I really doubt in a bedroom/home situation you're ever going to notice the difference between 20 and 80 watts. Maybe the tube TYPES, but not wattage.

Pete

Yup..I had that little RM20B I sold you rattling my house through the stock greenback at really quite low values of the master volume....a pair of 18W EL84s still pack a punch and I know you've gigged with it too..