RM22 and Soldano Style Mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoth

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here and am really interested in getting into the MTS concept by buying an RM22 head. I was wondering what would be the best Soldano-style mod for this amp. Also, does anyone know of other good places to buy mods other than the classified section?

Thanks!

Gigmods has a Soldano mod.
Salvation's flagship module I think is based off a Slo (?)
I never played either :cry:

You can go over to RigTalk and Egnater, lots of Eggy modules pop up and sometimes Randalls. However, the Classifieds here are really the best prices and most abundant source around...right now there's a slew available, that one guy has a dozen single channel Eggys FS

I have yet to play Gigmods Slodano mod, but I do have Salvation's "flagship" Salvado de luxe. It is one of my favorite mods. Having heard Salvation's mod side by side in the practice studio as the SLO100, I can say it NAILS the tone -- hardly indistinguishable. I highly recommend it. Also, the owner of the SLO100 has a Gigmods Slodano mod and he claims those two are hardly indistinguishable.

Thanks for the replies. For both gigmods and salvation, do you buy the module then send it to them to mod? Is there anyone who you can buy a finished mod from?

Finished mods could be available used in the classifieds, BUT those two mods rarely come up for sale and are snatched up quickly. Best way check to see what "donor" modules each of the modders can use, purchase a donor and ship it away. That's my advice. There may be better suggestions to come.

Another place to buy is evilbay/ebay, especially if you are looking for a donor module. It is rare to see pro-modded modules on ebay.

Mr Scary & SL+ will get you in the ballpark. I have yet to hear an a/b of either module against an SLO, so how close in the ballpark is questionable. However I think either module could also work as a donor for an SLO mod.

Anybody with either stock module and an SLO want to put a clip together?

Here is Jerome's link to his SLO100 v Slodano clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1130750

The more I learn about the MTS modules the more I like the concept. Sound really great in the clips. Now I just have to be positive that this is a better solution for me than an eleven rack.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I do have both the SLO100 and the Gigmods Slodano (mine started life as a Mr Scary). They are VERY VERY close. The Gigmods Slodano may actually be easier to work with...the real SLO sounds it's best cranked through a Soldano cab with X1200 speakers. Whereas the Gigmods module still sounds great at lower volumes and through other speakers. (V30s, 75's, Palmer PDI03, ect). I could easily use either one of them as a single channel amp/preamp and go from very clean to screaming overdrive by simply rolling my guitar's volume up or down and altering pick attack.

The clip is terrible and doesn't capture how sweet both of these sound. I have since gotten some decent mics and should do a better recording of the 2.

Jerome Allen said:
I do have both the SLO100 and the Gigmods Slodano (mine started life as a Mr Scary). They are VERY VERY close. The Gigmods Slodano may actually be easier to work with...the real SLO sounds it's best cranked through a Soldano cab with X1200 speakers. Whereas the Gigmods module still sounds great at lower volumes and through other speakers. (V30s, 75's, Palmer PDI03, ect). I could easily use either one of them as a single channel amp/preamp and go from very clean to screaming overdrive by simply rolling my guitar's volume up or down and altering pick attack.

The clip is terrible and doesn't capture how sweet both of these sound. I have since gotten some decent mics and should do a better recording of the 2.

Thanks Jerome for this review. I bet you knew you were about to put up your SLOdano and i would want it. J/k :wink:

Edit: Now who has a twin face that they want to sell me on?! lol

Lol. No, I really, really, really love the SLOdano module. I've been debating getting out of MTS a long time (I own an SLO100, 101B, JCM800 2205, and eventually a Twin Jet). So MTS gear was redundant for me. It was because of the SLOdano module that I kept the MTS gear for so long. It was the only module I truly loved. It really is THAT good.

Because I don't like changing channels on amps anymore, I had to choose between 1) the OD channel of the SLO100 or 2) Gigmods SLOdano in an RM100 with 2 empty slots.

Thanks again for taking it off my hands. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I did...well...I'm sure you will.

Jerome Allen said:
Lol. No, I really, really, really love the SLOdano module. I've been debating getting out of MTS a long time (I own an SLO100, 101B, JCM800 2205, and eventually a Twin Jet). So MTS gear was redundant for me. It was because of the SLOdano module that I kept the MTS gear for so long. It was the only module I truly loved. It really is THAT good.

Because I don't like changing channels on amps anymore, I had to choose between 1) the OD channel of the SLO100 or 2) Gigmods SLOdano in an RM100 with 2 empty slots.

Thanks again for taking it off my hands. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I did...well...I'm sure you will.

Getting a great SLO sound for "cheap" is one of the main reasons I first looked at MTS modules. Then I was like I could pair that SLO gain with a great Fender clean. I feel like Dr Frankenstein creating the perfect beast!

hoth said:
I feel like Dr Frankenstein creating the perfect beast!

FYI, the addiction gets worse. :lol:
Welcome to MTSA. Meetings are held daily 24 hours a day, which really only make the addiction worse. :D

Hamner1 said:
hoth said:
I feel like Dr Frankenstein creating the perfect beast!

FYI, the addiction gets worse. :lol:
Welcome to MTSA. Meetings are held daily 24 hours a day, which really only make the addiction worse. :D

I have enough addictions as it is. Ugh.

So do I, but at least they are better than buying new amps all the time. My gf hardly notices when I get a new module, but she bitched all the time when I would swap amps like crazy. Not to mention it costs less than buying all the amps they emulate, even with the mods.

Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
sniffing2.jpg

It's true. MTS is a very hard addiction to stop.

drewiv said:
Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
sniffing2.jpg

It's true. MTS is a very hard addiction to stop.

I picked the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines :lol:. I got my RM22 today and popped the SLOdano in. Always tried out DLX and Ultra XL modules. They all smoked.

I liked the high gainers better than any emulations of them that I have, including my beloved AxeFx. The DLX was extremely good but the jury's out whether it is better than the AxeFx, but it is certainly very very good. The SLOdano had a meaty but crisp distortion while the XL was chewier and heavier. Both outperformed my expectations.

The RM22 was also a champ. Extremely versatile little guy with lots of power under the hood. Only disappointments with it were line level loop (bought a TC Hall of Fame Reverb which took care of that issue) and lack of a master (the boost level functions well enough in this regard though). Otherwise the RM22 coupled with my 1x10 Freda cab loaded with an Emi Legend 1058 makes a KILLER grab and go rig.

Now I can't wait for my GnR and The Judge modules that I have incoming!