RM4 and a peavey classic 50/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Got my rm4 yesterday (thanks sjk) and today i hooked it up to my peavey classic 50/50 poweramp and I think that the 4 modules im running at the moment (JF 59rr,JF Erect, JF XTC and a KH-2 thats going to be a donor) sound far better with the peavey power section than the rm100 power section... the peavey has 12 tubes in it 8 6L6s 2 12at7's and 2 12 ax7s and you can really hear it the plexi mode on the xtc sounds my richer and fuller and they all sound more tubey than they did im the rm100... I also hooked up my BBE 882i sonic maximizer which i run the process at about 1/4 and the low countour at about 1/2 and It added a really killer low end and seemed to sweeten up the lead tones that i am getting out of the XTC red channel... ive got an Ultra Lead a slod-100 and a super clean coming next week so ill have to move some of my modules back to the rm100... Is there a MIDI Foot switch that i can use to control both the rm100 and the RM4 at the same time? ive got the rm100 running into the 8 ohm mono plug in my warhead cab and ive got the rm4/peavey 50/50 running stereo into the 4 ohm stereo plugs... Ideally i would like to run the them both and be able to switch between amps but run them both into the same cab (1 at a time of course) what should i get to accomplish that?
thanks guys
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
the peavey has 12 tubes in it 8 6L6s 2 12at7's and 2 12 ax7s and you can really hear it the plexi mode on the xtc sounds my richer and fuller and they all sound more tubey than they did im the rm100...

:?:

Hate to break it to you, but if your Classic 50/50 is running 8 6L6's you have to most customized Classic 50/50 EVER!

the Peavey is -by all accounts- an EL84 equipped amp
all in all a more 'middy' sound than EL34's (think Vox AC30)
Don't know what's currently in your RM100, but even if it's EL34's
there wil be a large sonic difference between the 2
EL84's also have less headroom and distort sooner

All of which doesn't matter one bit as long as you like the sound though

Is there a MIDI Foot switch that i can use to control both the rm100 and the RM4 at the same time? ive got the rm100 running into the 8 ohm mono plug in my warhead cab and ive got the rm4/peavey 50/50 running stereo into the 4 ohm stereo plugs... Ideally i would like to run the them both and be able to switch between amps but run them both into the same cab (1 at a time of course) what should i get to accomplish that?

Well, you're certainly gonna need an A/B switcher to send the guitar signal to different amps
you can simply midi in/thru from the RM's, but you might be getting more noise if there is a gain module selected but not played

best configuration would be an A/B guitar and A/B ampsplitter, preferrably midicontrolled
You would need a controller that can alternately send on 2 different midi channels
(BehringerFCB1010, Voodoo Labs GCP and Rocktron All Acces come to mind, in order of price)

What also may be possible (don't know for sure) is to pull the fuses from the RM100's poweramp
insert the RM100's send into the 2nd input of the Peavey and run both preamps through the 50/50

ALSO!!!
If you're running 2 amps to both inputs in the cab, you need to set BOTH amps to 4 Ohms!!!!!
(Your cab running mono will be 8 ohms over two speakers, driving 1 speaker will be HALF that, )

Thanks for the advise , when i bought the classic 50/50 i was told that it had 6L6's in it but after some brief research i found u to be correct sir :) i love the sound it produces very very sweet and full of harmonics... I dread the day that a tube blows in that thing cuz 8 EL84s and the 2 12at7's and 2 12ax7's + 40$ an hour in labor would be a huge bill but i am quite happy with it at the moment...
-mp-

My Peavey Classic 120/120 came stock with 6L6's and has been retubed with the same. Also sounds outstanding.

zepplin490 said:
Thanks for the advise , when i bought the classic 50/50 i was told that it had 6L6's in it but after some brief research i found u to be correct sir :) i love the sound it produces very very sweet and full of harmonics... I dread the day that a tube blows in that thing cuz 8 EL84s and the 2 12at7's and 2 12ax7's + 40$ an hour in labor would be a huge bill but i am quite happy with it at the moment...
-mp-
A huge plus on behalf of that Peavey is the resonance knob, I find. If too much in your face you can always turn it down slightly to taste. And since it runs two pairs of EL84s you can go with one brighter pair and one darker pair for a slightly broader tone.

What is the tonal difference between EL84's (in my peavey classic 50/50)
and 6L6's (which i have in my rm100 and my rm50) when i ran my rm4 through the RM100's power section it sounded tighter and cut through a little better... Is it a brand issue or are EL84's just looser by nature?
-mp-