RM4 Start-Up Question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfshockey

Reaction score
I'm very interested in switching to the RM4 and going to a rack for my rig but i'm at a starting point in terms of what I would need. I know for sure I would need a rack case, an RM4 and a power amp. Other than that, I know options are a multi FX units but what else on top of that? What is a power conditioner and what is it used for? What other rack accessories would you recommend?

Any input would be awesome and help me make my decision!

-Mike

Modules. Lots and lots of modules. You probably already knew that though. :lol: Power conditioner is an advanced power strip. Aside from protecting your equipment from spikes, most $100+ units also will have some degree of RFI/EMI filtering. This will help eliminate some or all of the noise. A multi FX unit. Try multiple units out 1st. Aside from tone of the effects, some are more intuitive to program or also have an editor that can be downloaded to your computer for easier tweaking. That will get you going, but you also may want to include pedals: volume, boost, &/or OD/fuzz.

Good luck

I have a Line6 M13 for sale/trade that I was using with my RM4 rig before I got my Axe-FX Ultra. It's an intuitive device, which also sounds great and is very flexible. You could also use it to change channels on the RM4! PM me if you're interested

If you use pedals and such I would recommend a GCX unit to control effects and keep them at the right levels....A GCP is a nice addition but that's just a controller pedal and obviously doesn't go in the rack...But then, you'll be ready to control your next couple RM4s as you add them 8)

I would recommend looking into the rack version of the ISP Decimator GString to keep your rig quiet...Although the Gstring pedal is cheaper and does the same thing (only one channel instead of two)...I know everyone raves about the rack unit...

I'd also consider a good EQ...Don't have any suggestions on what kind...

If you get a power conditioner (and you should) make sure it has a jack for a rear BNC lamp so you can see what you're doing back there....Especially if you're gonna gig with this...

A rackmount tuner is great since you'll have the rack anyway....They are relatively inexpensive and have a much larger display than the pedals...I wouldn't trade my Peterson Stroborack for anything...It's always on and extremely accurate, fast and visible....

You may also think about a rackmount fan or fans for your gear...I don't use an intake one...But I do use a 3 fan setup blowing outward in the back of my rack...But this also means your rack will need rear rails...Most already have them...Rackmount fans are abundant and cheap on Ebay...

If nothing else, DON'T SKIMP ON BUYING A GOOD RACK...Especially if you gig...You're looking at a couple to few hundred bucks for a good one...Make sure you get wheels...Many don't come with them but rather sell them as add ons...Consider that in the price...

And +1 on modules...Seems I always need one last one...:) Good luck!

If you plan on giging with it you most definately need 2 rig cases.I found out the hard way that all that stuff is WAY TO HEAVY to carry around in one case,so save you back cause it's gotta last you far longer than your rm4.

mike's right....Especially if you got he RT2/50 power amp route...Stackable rack is optimal for gigs but hard to wire quickly when connections have to be broken to haul...You could keep it very simple or even add a simple patch bay so you're not digging around behind your rack every night....

I'm lucky 'cause mine doesn't move...So it's heavy as ****....

Without question a rack with a tube poweramp is heavy as hell, even smaller 4 or 6 space racks.
This may sound retarded but why break up the rack, why not just get a 2 wheeler. Roll the rack in onto the stage and your done, well after connecting speakers & pedal board if you have one. Save your back & number of connections for setup & take down.

I have not owned any of the modded modules, so my input is probably pretty worthless there, however my favorite stock mods are the SL+ & Mr Scary for the Marhally/SLO tones. I also like the Clean module for a clean tone. If you are looking for a multitude of Marshall tones, I would say go with the Mashall or Mashall+. The clips I have heard sound really good.

Now if I just need to get my hands on a Plexi, Tweed, Judge, Plexi+... I think I have Fig syndrome without the extra RM4s to help mask the symptoms. :lol:

Great question. First let's talk power conditioning. You need a good power conditioning system to help normalize the AC power going to your gear. A good system should be able to check for amp killing defects like "no earth ground in the building" and also provide solid AC power at a normal frequency. If you play at one gig you may have 120V at 60Hz straight up but the next gig in the next town may be 117V at 59.5Hz. Power conditioners will help keep it at a normal rate so your amp won't be over or under powered and thus possibly be damaged. So spend a few extra bucks to save yourself a huge headache later.

Next you need to look at cooling. Amps are hot. Especially rack amps that have limited air flow. So one thing to look at is some form of cooling system be it empty rack spaces filled with vented panels or a fan system. I have 2 rt2/50's sitting in mine and i have them separated by a 2 space vented rack panel and separated from the rest of the rig by a 1 space vented panel and a fan mounted on the back of the rack for moving hot air out. Remember hot air rises so mount any fans just above where the heat comes from. Also make sure that if you gig with it that you put the amp in a fairly cool location on stage. Heat makes the tubes act funky and shortens their life. You can be a little less careful with heads or combos but enclosing amps in a box means you need to think "COOL".

My two cents. Hope it helps. As far as FX and the like, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

And one more thing. Dress and tie your cables so the power and instrument cables are separated as much as possible. Trust me on this, cross talk is a mother lover.

Peace, Joshua

Some really awesome input guys! It has both helped me and scared me :shock:

I will be gigging with my rig so I'm gonna have to think a lot about whether or not this is a good option for me. I do like the setup of having everything in a rack and having and extra module in the RM4 however the weight is definitely a concern.

This may be on on-going project for quite a while. I may just slowly start acquiring everything and eventually make it to a rack setup.

-Mike

Hey Mike, the ultimate rack set up might be something like Steve Vai has. Of course, you'll also need a tech or 2 to keep it up and running and to do misc. channel switching ect.

For those of us who are, unfortunately, not Steve Vai...a simple set-up will work fine, too.

I chose a 6 space rack case loaded with
1. Furman PL+ power conditioner
2. An RM4 (it's actually a modified Rocktron Vendetta...pre-RM4)
3. A VHT 2/90/2 power amp
* a couple of times i've thrown a reverb unit into the 6th space.

The 6 space is still heavy and bulky, but it's still small enough to drop on a cabinet, like you would any other head. It's a great sounding, flexible 4 channel set-up with plenty of power.

Mike, in truth the rack is not a bad way to go.
You can keep everything neat and tidy.
Racks are no less reliable than an amp and FX setup (assuming you are using FX in the rack).
If you get a descent rack case large enough to house what you need & allow for vents (& or fans) heat should not be an issue.
The weight may be more, but not by tons (unless you have Matt's refrigerator rack). I think it is because of the carrying method. Most amp heads have a handle on the center of the top of the shell. They also tend to be narrower (front to back). Where as a rack tends to have handles on each side & they are wider front to back. This makes for a less ergonomic method of carrying the rack (weight tends to be distributed in front of you resulting in leaning backwards thus the back strain). This can be relieved by putting wheels on the rack or in my opinion using a 2 wheeler & rolling the rack where you need it.

I had a 8 space rack at first,figuring a dolley would help but if you have to carry up stairs it becomes a huge pain in the *** let alone your back.After awhile I needed help to bring it up and down the stairs at practise than by myself at home,it wasn't bad at first but after doing it a few times you quickly start thinking 2 racks or using a combo for practise and your rack for giging.Make sure you get a good hush system, like I have a decimator prorackG best thing for quieting it down.

I concur with Hamner1. I love my rack system despite its weight. I can keep all my stuff permanently set up and hook up for gigs in about ten minutes flat. It is neat and tidy and looks really cool in an 80's way. I haven't seen Matt's rig of doom yet. Maybe i should go check it out. Then we can see who's rack is bigger. :shock:

Peace, Joshua

Lets be practical here:
If you play gigs..you really want to do this with 2 racks. One for the pre (RM4 and any processing stuff, and the power conditioner),,
and the other rack is the power amp. Why?
Heat, and weight.
Seriously most racks are a type of heavy duty platic (like SKB or gator uses) and with heat and weight..it will warp eventually.
So if do 2 small racks..like 4 or 6 spaces in each..you have managable weight..and heat. Sure some wires have to be run. Not a big deal..its worth it.
Jus saying.

GtrGeorge
using mine this Sat night at Juggs and Stroker (Im not making up the name) in Merrick, NY..11pm.

I use 2 racks, SKB roto mold racks. They're sturdy as hell and have some space for ventilation :)
They stack, and besides that they have good handles so it's easy to carry.

Unless you're a really ripped guy you won't want a rack with RM4 and RT2/50 in one.
I had it for a week or two .. 3 moves (2 practices and 1 gig) and I seriously felt my back aching (granted I live on the 3rd floor and practice at 2nd floor so that's a lot of stairs up and down).

So I configured it like this: 6 spacer with:
- Samson power conditioner
- Lexicon MX200
- 30 band EQ (not used but looks cool haha)
- Jacks plate
- RM4
And a 2 space with the RT2/50.

Cables I need to plug between racks:
- power for RT2/50
- midi
- signal (RM4 => RT2/50)
This takes me 20 seconds .. I'd say they are worth it.