SG Fisch!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
I just received mine, holy hell, this thing is waaaay cool. I'm not sure who used the Fish rack, what CD tones would I know from it's use, AIC? Regradless, I'm loving the Brown, especially with mid boost for leads, totally clear and filled with long sustain. If/when SG gets back, mark this module as COVETED, very impressive!

I may be able to get a rough clip up soon if anyone is interested

I love my Fisch. Brown channel only on mine. I am probably due for a new clip of it. Below is an old one of some AIC riffs before I had the Fisch updated. Standard "I was hammered" comment applies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9SoFnJQFE&feature=related

eyeball987 said:
I love my Fisch. Brown channel only on mine. I am probably due for a new clip of it. Below is an old one of some AIC riffs before I had the Fisch updated. Standard "I was hammered" comment applies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9SoFnJQFE&feature=related

That sound killer, just like AIC. ****, another mod on my list. :roll:

The brown channel is phat & clear
I super love the mid boost, Scott picked a great freq there
I'll try to get a midnight clip up (AZ time)

crankyrayhanky said:
The brown channel is phat & clear
I super love the mid boost, Scott picked a great freq there
I'll try to get a midnight clip up (AZ time)

The updated tone is very close to my pre-update clip but the gain is a little less congested and the gain knob has more usuable range. I usually boost it so I rarely run it past 1:00.

SacredGroove said:
Here is the original clip I did of the original Fisch mod.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10418283
**** I love the tones in that clip. I'm glad that you are taking time off from modding to take care of the more important things in life, but I sure would like to order one of your mods!! I can wait... :wink:
BIG PROPS!! :D

crankyrayhanky said:
I just received mine, holy hell, this thing is waaaay cool. I'm not sure who used the Fish rack, what CD tones would I know from it's use, AIC? Regradless, I'm loving the Brown, especially with mid boost for leads, totally clear and filled with long sustain. If/when SG gets back, mark this module as COVETED, very impressive!

Eddie used the first Fish, which had a black face plate, on the For Unlawful record. The Megadeth guys used the blue face on Countdown and Lynch used the Blue for the entire Lynch Mob album (record 2).

Daryl said:
SacredGroove said:
Here is the original clip I did of the original Fisch mod.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10418283
**** I love the tones in that clip. I'm glad that you are taking time off from modding to take care of the more important things in life, but I sure would like to order one of your mods!! I can wait... :wink:
BIG PROPS!! :D

crankyrayhanky said:
THAT is a killer clip

Thanks guys! 8)

crankyrayhanky said:

You wont hear a Bogner Fish on any AIC albums while lane was alive. Dirt was a bogner modded marshall. Jerry switched to a bogner modded fish that was close to his modded marshall for touring that he paired with a 2:90 mesa for Dirt.

The cantrell mod is sick, I've got a modded cantrell fish pre. I would definitely say its uber based when compared to my twin jet I had.

Someone mentioned blackfaced Fishes as the first fish.... The proto is green anodized (not aqua, but green). Black faceplates, a few of these were produced and sent to japan only. In the past couple of years since the limited run of the fish some guys got some black/white, white/black faces done on their custom orders. Cool stuff.

I'm not trying to start an argument but here's what I know as facts that were told to me directly by Reinhold, Jerden and other guys involved in the recording of Dirt.

The guitars were a blended combo of a Bogner Modified Marshall, an early Rectifier and a Rockman. Jerry did use a Fish on a few tracks (with a Mosfet power amp) but it's been so long that I can't remember which tracks.

As for the color scheme, yes, there was a black face/white knob version made before he switched to the anodized blue. I know this as fact as the owner (whose name rhymes with Freddie Pan Wailin') called me in 2004 to see if I wanted to purchase his Fish, which was black with white knobs. He used it on the album that rhymes with S.U.C.K. and hadn't used it much since. He wanted $4k for it, and I politely declined.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you guys are digging the Fisch! I tried to get Bogner to reissue the Fish back in 2002 (and even offered to put up $10k to get started) but was rebuked. The Fish was an amp I was intimately familiar with having recorded it exclusively for about 18 months beginning in 1992, so I knew exactly how it was supposed to sound and feel. It took several months to get it just "right" and Scott nailed it!

:D

Hey MikeP, you know the man himself? Mr. Pan Valen?

So given your experience with the SG XTC and Fisch... which one would be more up my alley?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Hey MikeP, you know the man himself? Mr. Pan Valen?

No, I can't say that I "know" him but we've chatted in the past. The reason he called me is because he knew that I had asked Reinhold to build me a Fish or reissue it. And since he wasn't using it anymore, he gave me a call. I don't know if he's still got it or not.

Kapo_Polenton said:
So given your experience with the SG XTC and Fisch... which one would be more up my alley?

I'm not sure which to recommend because I don't know all of the characteristics you'd want in essentially a high gain modified Marshall. But here's how I'd describe them:

Fish - Strong mid range, not very "bright" (much like the SLO, which I've always found to be "dark"), tons of gain and can easily get that "Brown" sound with the right guitar. The Strato channel is amazing with a Strat or Tele for lower gain type of music.

Ecstasy LE - Very, very tight and "glassy" on the top end but very bass heavy and chewy (hence the newly added 3-way Bass switch to reduce that). On Blue Channel in Plexi mode, it's definitely capable of getting the "Plexi" tone - lots of "spank" on the top end. The Red Channel with Structure becomes very modern and heavy - think Alter Bridge or the new AIC record.

I made a description error when I posted the Ecstasy LE clip: Structure was OFF on that clip, so there's way more gain on tap.

So is the Fisch along the same lines as the JF SLO in terms of voicing or mids/low mids? I think by your description the XTC might be more up my alley. You'd be impressed with me though, I've started playing with the presence dialed back and the treb a bit down! I was dialing in way too much top end I think. Better this way.

Kapo_Polenton said:
So is the Fisch along the same lines as the JF SLO in terms of voicing or mids/low mids?

No, not really. It's just not as bright and super tight as the Ecstasy. It's hard to describe but it's like a modified high gain module with more mids than top end.

Here's two tracks with the Fisch:

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/jackedup.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/racetheman.mp3

lots of good info here, thanks!
I've been jamming the Fisch obsessively all week; if someone described the tone to me I would think "cool, but probably not for me/my style"
Wow-wrong- I've been gaga over this tone! I haven't made a clip becausue everytime I go to jam on it, I just get lost in mindless riffage. Eventually I'll get something up to add to the resources

The Mike P clips sound killer- and correspond to what I'm hearing with my setup- beautiful tone Mike!