Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
I got a couple of these. They were advertised as EH 12AX7s. Granted the Eh stuff is probably just rebranded Russian tubes (Sovtek), but no mention of EH anywhere on the tube. Anybody try these before? Any thoughts on them compared to current EH or JJ tubes?

Of course I've tried them....They are touted as the "best new production tubes" by several sellers...I got some HG ones and standards...I didn't end up using any of them as they were dark and muddy to me...Of course, I am a treble-lover so take my opinion with a pound of salt...

It wasn't that they were bad, but sometimes I like to spend time shuffling tubes at random and then playing the next day and seeing if I pick up changes...I could sniff these out every time...They just added volume and deadness...Sorry, hope you don't mind my honest opinion...I've read many testimonials that are contrary to my experience...

Please post back when you get a chance to play them....

If you got some that tested decent, look for it to darken tone a bit (see Mike P ;-) ), if not, well, see Mattfig above.

Have fun!

speedemon said:
If you got some that tested decent, look for it to darken tone a bit (see Mike P ;-) ), if not, well, see Mattfig above.

Have fun!

:lol: :lol:

Well I tried it in V1 of the RM4. I rather like it.. so far. See Mike P for tonal affect it had. :p It did darken/thicken the tone somewhat from the JJ ECC83S that was in there. Although Fig was right to a certain point. The Grail was muddy & I either had to dime the treble &/or turn the Bright switch on to negate the muddiness. The other modules faired better. Even the GTO mode 2 had a noticeable improvement in tone (had to have the bright switch on though & turn up the treble a little - noon to 1 o'clock).

Just for reference these are new tubes the JJ I don't know how old it is (it came with 1 of my stock used modules). Maybe I'll play around with the other in the modules this weekend.
:idea: Maybe I would be a better player if I chased tone less & played more. :lol:

Hamner1 said:
speedemon said:

Have fun!

:lol: :lol:

Well I tried it in V1 of the RM4. I rather like it.. so far. See Mike P for tonal affect it had. :p It did darken/thicken the tone somewhat from the JJ ECC83S that was in there. Although Fig was right to a certain point. The Grail was muddy & I either had to dime the treble &/or turn the Bright switch on to negate the muddiness. The other modules faired better. Even the GTO mode 2 had a noticeable improvement in tone (had to have the bright switch on though & turn up the treble a little - noon to 1 o'clock).

Just for reference these are new tubes the JJ I don't know how old it is (it came with 1 of my stock used modules). Maybe I'll play around with the other in the modules this weekend.
:idea: Maybe I would be a better player if I chased tone less & played more. :lol:

Chase the tone in your fingers and the tone(s) of your amps at the same time...It is possible...And certain modules can make you play things, or want to play things, you haven't tried yet....

"The Grail was muddy & I either had to dime the treble &/or turn the Bright switch on to negate the muddiness."

it was like that when you bought it, no? :lol:

If the Grail sounds muddy, chances are it has bad tubes.....since it's quite bright through standard speakers (i.e. v30s)...but...

I've also had the experience where I had to compromise on the tube in the amp head, finding one that was perfect for some modules and not others...this is why I think Egnater ships theirs with Sovtek 12ax7wa, a fairly neutral and inoffensive tube.