splitting stereo speaker cab question will this work?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
i have a stereo randall cabinet with vintage 30;s and a randall rm100 if i wanted to run my cabinet in stereo and only use the left side 2x12 speakers and match olms ect. would that be ok? or will i blow them? what i want to do is use left side 2x12 thru randall and right side 2x12 thru a different head and use a a-b box to switch between amps(clean and dirty) so i would be using 2 heads with 1 cabinet or 1 head into 2x12 and other head into 2x12 other side will this work thanks alot

Yes - I've done it; but only putzing around at home testing different amps, etc. However, I've read that there are potential issues depending on the material of the jack plate, specificallly whether it's conductive or not. I don't remember the implications, or which state (conductive or non-conductive) is the correct state you need for this setup.

I'm sure someone else can chime in on this . . .

I did quick Google search, and found at least two blurbs that say something similar to:

WARNING: Mount each input jack on the back of the speaker cabinet. Do not mount the jacks on the same plate if it is made of metal (serious damage to some power amps will occur if you do this). Either mount them in separate locations or on a jack plate made of a non-conductive material such as plastic.

Now I remember . . . it's all coming back to me - I was converting one of my mono cabinets into a stereo cabinet, so I needed to know this. But you already have a stock stereo cabinet, so your jackplate is most likely non-conductive and you should be good to go . . .

HughJasol said:
I did quick Google search, and found at least two blurbs that say something similar to:

WARNING: Mount each input jack on the back of the speaker cabinet. Do not mount the jacks on the same plate if it is made of metal (serious damage to some power amps will occur if you do this). Either mount them in separate locations or on a jack plate made of a non-conductive material such as plastic.

Now I remember . . . it's all coming back to me - I was converting one of my mono cabinets into a stereo cabinet, so I needed to know this. But you already have a stock stereo cabinet, so your jackplate is most likely non-conductive and you should be good to go . . .

Thanks a lot for that info and replys