Switching preamp tubes on modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rictus_grin

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got an 800 and tried swapping in new preamp tubes, but without unscrewing anything other than the top cage thing, it’s at a bit of an awkward angle. I must have cracked one of the tubes while putting it in because when I went to power it on, I had almost no volume. Turns out one of the tubes shattered.

Is there a better way to swap tubes without too much unscrewing or risking damage to those little strips?

Thanks

They are quite in there as it were and very little room to get them out. I took a lot of time and just wiggled a tiny bit side to side until I gradually worked them out far enough to just pull them. Pulling them straight out when seated I would imagine could possible damage the tube or the socket attach. Far as any other taking apart I would not go that far myself.

Use a circular motion when removing the tube , work slowly and make sure to have a good grab on the tube socket . I wouldn’t recommend going side to side motion as this puts a lot of strain on the socket , use a circular motion and just work slow , it should come out no problem . When inserting new tube just line the pins up and use the same circular motion when inserting the tube . Hope this helps . You could also use a napkin between the tube and circuit board to sort of prevent damaging anything .

The tubes really seat well. I do slightly wiggle them side to side but I also support the socket as well. You just need to take your time and go slowly. They are board mounted so not as robust as a heavy chassis socket mount. Make sure the pins are nice and straight before you align the new one and just slowly side to side until it seats well but do support the socket. I don't see any clearance to not go side to side, mine had no room otherwise.