Transformer in RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded the transformer in their RM100?
How much does the transformer upgrade will improve the amp's tonal characteristics?
What is the best transformer to upgrade to?
Thanks as always,
T.

tung said:
Has anyone upgraded the transformer in their RM100?
How much does the transformer upgrade will improve the amp's tonal characteristics?
What is the best transformer to upgrade to?
Thanks as always,
T.
I thought the RM100 had a custom transformer just for it,not an off the shelf thing,that being said,I'm sure it could be duplicated :D

If i remember correctly, couple guys on here actually upgraded their transformers. I remember the posts.

There are no transformer upgrades as of yet. I did find someone that could make them for me and there will be a set of upgrade transformers for the RM100 available very soon. I'll post a date once I have one.

In the process I also became an authorized tech/dealer for Murcury Magnetics so PM me if you want anything. I'll be the first to order these transformers just as soon as my set is ready. I can sell the power transformers, output transformers, and chokes separately if need be and at a cheaper price. They will also come in red, black, chrome and hammertone colors for the bell ends. I can't wait to get these in my amp.

i'd be very curious to hear about you findings.

one of the few complaints i have about the rm100 is how heavy the **** thing is. i assume it's a case of the "worldwide acceptance" in the power transformer.

heavy = brutal on the back.

I'm pretty excited to hear the results myself. I have yet to hear an amp where Mercury trannys didn't improve tone. My RM100 will be the first to have the complete kit.

The Axiom output (OT) and choke tranny upgrades for the RM100 are ready for sale now but the power transformer (PT) is still in the works. Your right about the worldwide voltage leads on the PT primary though. It does add extra mass and unfortunately cost more too. I still rather have it now as opposed to needing it later. I'm waiting until the PT design is finished so I can offer the complete RM100 upgrade kit but I can also sell them separately too. The Mercury trannys are physically bigger so installation will require new mounting holes in the chassis. Not a problem for me really because I was wanting to run some noise test by changing the OT position in relation to the PT. There is enough room around the OT to allow me to rotate it and fine tune the perfect low noise angle. The bigger trannys will add a few pounds to an already wicked heavy amp but I figure its a fair trade off.

Another important thing to mention here is that the transformer upgrade is ONLY to be done by a knowledgeable tech, although I'm sure some of us here are more than qualified. A tech will change at least $100 ( I do ) for installing these trannys due to the amount of work needed on the chassis. Don't try to install anything in an amp unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Besides the trannys, I got several smaller modifications and additions for my RM100 that I'm working on. Not that there was anything wrong with my stock RM100 but I'm obsessed with tweaking and improvements. One day soon I'll have to post everything I have done.

Good God, BIGGER than stock? These amps weigh ten tons as it is...

So what improvements will a different power tranny do if the stock one is working to spec? 500v (or whatever) is 500v, right? Or just be a bigger/run cooler/more reliable replacement?

What will the new output transformer do? Tighter, looser, ?

Pete

Well if new parts like that could remove the metallic sheen over the tone that the RM100 seems to have (to my ears)..it'd be a good thing.

JKD said:
Well if new parts like that could remove the metallic sheen over the tone that the RM100 seems to have (to my ears)..it'd be a good thing.

Could you describe it? I'm not sure I really hear that in mine...

Pete

okstrat said:
JKD said:

Could you describe it? I'm not sure I really hear that in mine...

Pete

Something bugged me about the high end in the RM100 (I owned 2) and my current RT2/50....and it wasn't there in either of the RM50HBs I've owned..the best description is a metallic sheen on the sound.

okstrat said:
Good God, BIGGER than stock? These amps weigh ten tons as it is...

So what improvements will a different power tranny do if the stock one is working to spec? 500v (or whatever) is 500v, right? Or just be a bigger/run cooler/more reliable replacement?

What will the new output transformer do? Tighter, looser, ?

Pete

Lol, I know. I said the same thing about the size, but its all a part of what makes a transformer work more efficiently, gives it better inductance, and a higher saturation ceiling.

There are four more secondary lead pairs that come off the RM100 PT other then just the 500V B+ leads. It's actually about 350V directly off the secondary B+ with loading, but after full bridge rectification and filtering it ends up being in the area of 500VDC +/- after the choke. The B+ gets reduced further to supply the preamp tube plates. There are also independent leads for the power tube negative bias, power tube heaters, preamp DC heaters/electronics, and midi phantom power that come off the RM100 PT. Some of those voltages drift out of range for reasons that have nothing to do with AC line input. I contribute those drifts to stock PT leakage and malfunction. The stock Chuang Meei PT is inconsistent at best. For example, the 6.3V power tube heaters would normally read 6.6~7.1 VAC in my amp using 6L6B tubes with no variation in line AC voltage. That kind of voltage can ruin tube performance and shorten tube life. I really started to suspect that the transformers in my Randall were far form being in spec from the beginning. I'm not not busting balls or anything because I understand that economic parts = jobs when it comes to a mass production and I would have used a lower cost transformer if I was planning to make lets say 10,000 amps. Lets also say I would have to spend at least $100 more per amp to install Mercury transformers as opposed to using a lower cost clone? That would mean I would have to spend $1,000,000 more not including shipping cost just to build the amps. Keep in mind that would also be a huge demand on the supplier of the tranny. Lets say you were given a year to provide those 30,000 ( the RM100 has three different transformers ) tranny units. That would mean 3.42 transformers an hour, 24/7 for 365 days strait. A transformer would have to be born every 18 minutes. Transformers take a great deal more time and attention to build than 18 minutes. It is the most expensive part of any amp and their cost should reflect the time, detail, and materials involved. I just have a hard time believing that a mass produced transformer can ever compare to a custom hand made and tuned transformer that uses superior materials.

The beautiful thing about Mercury Magnetics ( MM ) is that each transformer is hand made and tuned to spec. There is a ton of math involved in transformer design and I would love to bore everyone to death with it all but the best sounding amps in guitar history sometimes have accidental flaws in their tranny windings that excite tubes to sound their best. What makes MM special is that they intentionally put those unique tone producing "flaws" they have discovered into efficient designs coupled with only the best materials and construction techniques money can buy. These are the Axiom design transformers that include the best of both old school "flaws" and new world technology. The ultimate goal is to take the "what if" out of the transformer design.

Basically, these things are made to be the best transformers in the world if you are not concerned about cost and that's what sold me on them. The greatest amps made today and rebuilt legendary vintage amps are all loaded with MM for a good reason. Do a little research and you will see what I mean. I couldn't miss a chance to be the first to upgrade my Randall with MM. I have had to work close with the guys at MM but in the process I did become a tech/dealer. The Randall RM100 Mercury Magnetics transformers are being custom made to exceed stock spec performance, extend tonal range, and extend power handling limits. It starts with the PT being cleaner, efficient, and cooler with smoother current spikes that seems to be a common cause of blown fuses in this amp, and ends with the OT retaining its ability to use any tube you like while delivering a better tonal signal to the speakers. As far as the heard effect on tone... I have no ideal what it will mean for the RM100 just yet, but I do have faith in MM. I have never heard a negative review or an amps tone that MM didn't improve. The depictions range from review to review but most people hear a better defined and extended bass response, with enhanced mids, and highs that sustain better and separate.

I'm a huge Randall fan and the RM100 has been a dream come true for me. After having spent so much time learning about this amp, its design, and how it functions, I knew I had to replace the stock transformers. They drift way to much and I'm certain they limit this amps true potential. I think there are others that may feel the same as me on this forum and I'm more than happy to share what I know. I can help anyone here get these upgrades at a discount too. They will come directly from MM but will cost you less through me than if you bought them from the website.

hilly1212 said:
A big part of the weight is the MDF headshell.

I've swapped headshells (Thanks again RD/Rich!) and the chassis was still a heavy biotch!

Original poster - great explanation. I know that different power tubes have different operating points that they like to work at.. From manufacturer's specs, an EL34 at close to RM100 operating voltage likes Zout of 4,000, the 6L6 is spec'd with 5,600. 6V6 and KT88/6550s are going to be different too. What tubes is the output transformer going to be set up for, or is it going to be more in the middle? I love how the RM100s allow you to use different tubes, but I'm guessing the OT doesn't compensate for different tubes, right? if we liked using a specific tube with our amp, is there a replacement transformer for it that we could use? (Like a KT88, for example).

Pete

i can attest that MM transformers sound good. i have had three "other" amps that i had them installed in and the best explaination i have is like lifting a blanket off of them. (dare i say like putting a sonic maximizer on it) it increased the articulation, and really "opened" the amp up.

i will definately be interested in peoples findings when they have them done to their rm100's.

okstrat said:
hilly1212 said:
A big part of the weight is the MDF headshell.

I've swapped headshells (Thanks again RD/Rich!) and the chassis was still a heavy biotch!

Original poster - great explanation. I know that different power tubes have different operating points that they like to work at.. From manufacturer's specs, an EL34 at close to RM100 operating voltage likes Zout of 4,000, the 6L6 is spec'd with 5,600. 6V6 and KT88/6550s are going to be different too. What tubes is the output transformer going to be set up for, or is it going to be more in the middle? I love how the RM100s allow you to use different tubes, but I'm guessing the OT doesn't compensate for different tubes, right? if we liked using a specific tube with our amp, is there a replacement transformer for it that we could use? (Like a KT88, for example).

Pete

The primary impedance (Z) of the stock OT was a little over 1800 ohms. Mercury Magnetics has insured me that the upgrade OT will still allow the RM100 to use any power tube you like. You will not lose the ability to switch out different power tubes. I know KT88's are some beefy tubes so I mentioned that the upgraded OT needs to be able handle the extra power output. KT88's also draw almost double the amount of heater filament current of EL34/6L6 type tubes so I'm also making sure the upgrade 6.3V winding is rated to reflect that current draw. I was planning to try KT88 tubes myself and I want my new transformers to easily support them.

jmgman70 said:
What could you do for the RT/250 with the (tight as is space now)I love my RT

I'm sure an upgrade can be made for the RT that would fit perfectly. Doesn't the RT have a toroidal OT? Either way, I know a working upgrade can be designed. Let me know if I can help.

The RM100 complete upgrade kit should be ready by the end of the month, but some of you want upgrades for the other MTS amps. I need your help so that I can make that a possibility.

If anyone has any transformer specs, schematics, or pics inside the RT2/50, or any other MTS amp, it would be a great help in providing others here get MM upgrades. I know the RD guys can't give us the schematics any longer, but I was hoping some of the other members here might be willing to share what they have. I'm not asking anyone to open their amps! Its dangerous work if you don't know what you are doing. Just share what you have. You can email me in secrecy if you like.

I think the limiting factor with the RT2/50 and RM4 might be the available space inside the units, but I believe an upgrade can be designed.