Tube driven compressor in series loop RM50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I have an electro Harmonix Black Finger. it has two 12ax7 tubes at 300 Volts plate voltage (so I've read, not that I would know myself) One drive the input and one the output of the pedal. It has a good amount of tube drive and volume at certain settings.

Am I risking damage to my amp doing this? I try to keep the volume at unity but I wonder if I could harm something......

Thanks

thanks for the reply. I had been reading some posts on people frying their V1 and V2 tubes or arcing something., it just started freaking me out a bit. While I think I'm getting great sound i got to thinking I could blow something up. Not too hip to the technical side of gear, just really know how to tweak for a sound I like.

you'll know soon enough when you start overdriving the Phase inverter that the output is going beyond "usable"
you're still well away from "dangerous" then though

Just curious, have you tried it in front of the amp instead of the loop?
Usually a compressor would be the first pedal in the chain in front of an amp.

iekobrid said:
Don't some amps specifically warn against putting effects that affect dynamics in the loop?

I would think some peaks might be damaging, but for all I know, a compressor doesn't add peaks to a signal

it sounds good in front of everything and that's where it lived for years before I had this amp. Then my music changed and with this mts amp I could get all kinds of sounds that the Black F was allowing me to sort of emulate, and I ditched it. It;s got an input drive and output drive so various crunch or sustained, restrained tones can be had at various volume levels, along with a bit of arrested attack "plunck"

I got it back out to get back into country type sounds and found it overpowered my overdrives in a not nice way, so the loop made sense. it sounds good there although at certain settings I need to crank the output drive to get the amp to respond favorably and thus my fear of harming something

it can also give a very massive rack compressor sound, controlled feedback and the like, thats why I like it. but if it's too much then....