Tube power amp for synergy syn-1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have my syn-1 plugged in the fx loop of my vox av30 and my synergy ecstasy sounds quite fizzy when I turn the module volume up. I also have an empty celestion subwoofer cab that I want to mod. So I just need a power amp. I am a bedroom/small gig player, the mooer tube engine is my best bet with 20w but it’s quite pricey for what it is. Are there any other alternative or does anybody know how to build a tube power amp ?

I use the KSR PA-50 which is a mono 50 watt amp. Supports EL34 or 6L6. Bias adjustment on the front. Has bass, presence and the all import negative feedback adjustment so you can really dial the power amp. On top has a hi-fi switch that brightens up the overall tone of the amp (great for certain modules). You won't beat it for finding the right tone with synergy, just wish it was rackmount.

They are quite expensive, I wish they were around $500 used but seems like nobody regrets buying these haha, my wallet is just deep enough for the mooer tube engine and seems like it’s my best bet for my budget

They are quite expensive, I wish they were around $500 used but seems like nobody regrets buying these haha, my wallet is just deep enough for the mooer tube engine and seems like it’s my best bet for my budget
So they PS2 is worth the money probably ;) Might be worth saving up for if it's realistic. It'll be a piece of gear that long outlasts the Mooer as well.

Yes it worth , it s much more than a power amp . Some don t like the sound of this power amp because he is pretty flat , uncolored but great for synergy stuff , fractal audio , modeling in general .

Yes it worth , it s much more than a power amp . Some don t like the sound of this power amp because he is pretty flat , uncolored but great for synergy stuff , fractal audio , modeling in general .
Yes indeed. I love myne

I usually use the return of a Marshall 100 watt with my SYN-2, but for smaller gigs I picked up a Line 6 Spider Valve pretty cheap.
If you plug into the power amp in at the back you bypass the digital front end and go straight into a 40W tube power section, a Bogner design apparently.
Comes with a Celestion V30 and birch ply cab, and is portable enough.

Other alternatives in that vein are the Line 6 DT50 and Bogner Alchemist, you can pick these up for not too much.

It's not cheap but I love the SYN50/50 and it is a design match for the modules. Plus the single rack space is just too cool.

I run 3 different modular racks
I do have the Syn 50/50, but much of he time I use a Marshall 20/20 power amp that sounds really good
In another rig I have a Rocktron velocity power amp and that sounds ok
If you are happy to run a mono system the Fryette power station is a cool bet

I couldn't resist buying a Mooer Tube Engine because I got a pretty good deal and I gotta be honest, It sounds pretty good. It doesn't have a lot of headroom or volume but through a loud 2x12 or 4x12 it can keep up with a drummer. I considered upgrading the output transformer but what's the point...

I figure the KSR PA50 is probably the best option for ultimate versatility and quality, and any of the "big" power amps sound great.

All things considered though, and maybe it's just me, maybe it's in my head, but I like the Syn30 and Syn50 the best :)

I have a Fryette Power Station PS-2A and it's awesome. It's both a 50 watt tube power amp and a reactive load box. I highly recommend.

Yeah the fryette PS2 looks and sounds really good, quite hard to find on the used market though. I’ll try to save as much money as I can and see what I’ll be able to afford. Thanks for the input so far

Hey I changed my plan because I’ll move to the USA in a few months. I’m planning on taking my synergy syn-1 with me, but nothing more and I’ll probably be in an apartment so I need a power amp with a cab sim and a headphones out