tube screamer

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walshinator666

Reaction score
I've got a gig coming up and was thinking of getting a tube screamer for leads.I know there was a post somewhere that compared screamers and I can't find it.Does anyone have any suggestions on which was good for leads,I want to add a touch more gain and volume to my lead channel.
In your live experiences what worked best?

i really really love the Boss Blues Driver... it sounds really great for all kinds of stuff.. metal to blues.....

There's a guy on ebay who sells TS9s that are modded to exact TS808 specs for about 135...They're great pedals and he also sends you two choices for the distortion circuit...When is vintage, one modern...PLUS, he makes them true bypass....Burrowselectronics is the seller...Look him up on Ebay and contact him...Great prices, great work!

Good luck!

For gigging i say use the TS7. I know the TS9 and TS808 and Maxons sound better but in live situations most of the intricacies will get lost in the mix. And for live gigs you have to be wary of flying beers, vomit, underwear and other flying stuff that will most likely get all over your pedal board. I've used several models and in a live setting i can't hear the difference and your audience will most likely never notice. Unless they are an audience of audiophiles.

Peace, Joshua

How much do you want to spend? I have a post in the rigs section with a few basic $50-100 booster pedals. For $200+ you can get maxon or a custom pedal that you may not tell a huge amount of difference between a eBay $45-$100 pedal. The Boss Blues Driver is a great boost that was mentioned before. It actually has way more output volume than all my other overdrives. I picked one up at a pawnshop for $20. I used it for all my boosting of every module until I got a Line6 M13 and I just use the screamer on it now. I love the M13 and actually prefer it over all my other overdrives including my Centaur Klon which is though of by some as the best booster/overdrive ever made. The m13 is pricey though and you can get an m9 cheaper but no 4 cable hookup with the M9. I also hear nothing but good things about the zakk wylde overdrive also. I think this is the link to that quick post with a few cheap overdrives.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=66693&highlight=#66693

I use a Toadworks Texas Flood pedal. It is about $150 new, but about $100 on Ebay, if you can find one used. ToadWorks Texas Flood is a a classic overdrive modeled on the legendary TS-808 circuit.
http://www.toadworksusa.com/
Per website:
"It's not a clone - we don't make clones, and there was certainly room for improvement on this classic circuit. Texas Flood has undergone extensive testing by professional guitarists in both live and studio settings, and the verdict is in - we blew the competition out of the water."
I like it much better than the Tubescreamers. I used a TS9 and a TS808 before. It is a very clean pedal that drives tubes really well and makes stock modules sound really nice. It has a good range of usable gain and is very responsive. Made in the USA quality. :D

Schlagdog this is the post I was originally speaking of thanks.I like the line 6 best but am just looking for a single pedal for boost.From everything i've checked out so far I like the MXR-ZW44

I've heard nothing but good things about the Zakk OD. I know he just maxxes the volume and keeps the overdrive off and just uses it the same way everyone uses the overdrives to kick up and tighten the gain channel. I'm sure the ZAKK pedal will be good for you.

CheeseBlock Effects sCream Cheese 2.0 is magnificent. I've owned the Zakk OD and it is great as well, but the sCream Cheese is a little clearer/less noisy and more versatile.

I have the Wylde OD, a Fultone OCD and a BBE Green Screamer. I like all of them but the OCD is probably my fav with the Wylde coming in a close 2nd. The wylde doesn't "boost" the volume too much but it does make the tone richer & thicker.

Well i hope the zw44 gives more volume cause that's what I want it for.I want to keep the tone i have and boost the volume for leads.I just bought one yesturday so I hope it's what i'm after.

oh...it's a bit more volume, but certainly not in your face. regardless, I love what it does to the amp.

If you're going to buy the M13, go for the POD HD. You get the same effects bank + XLR outs for going to mixer should something unfortunate happen.

But for tubescreamers and tubescreamer types: Ibanez TS808 RI, Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS-9, Boss Blues Driver. There's a million and one tubescreamer clones out there. They all do about the same thing. Some are a little quieter than others. Prices range from $40 to over $200.

Just remember if you go with the TS808 or one of the Maxons they are about 1/2 the cost of an M13 or POD HD. You can use the POD HD400 or 500 as an effects unit only (same as the M13) without a Line Level Shifter on this amp via 4 cable method. Just something to think about.

I just checked out a TS7 and I love it simply for boosting purposes. Not so much for solos, but for tightening up the amp and adding that signature PUNCH. It made me love my MTS all over again, but I'm afraid to use it on my Ultra XL :lol: I may even decide to move down to a RM50 and use the TS to boost my SL+ for a more powerful sound. Gotta mod this thing for a bit more bottom, though...

I highly recommend Analogman for that sort of thing. I just bought one of his "Silver Modded" Maxon OD-9s, and it's quite simply the best overdrive I've ever used. If memory serves, he can mod your TS7 to original TS808 specs for under $50.

O.K. my Zw44 came in today.Any suggested position for it,so far i've got ...guitar>wah wah> polytune tuner>rm4.Should I put the ZW44 before or after my Wah?

agreed. But after your tuner. Haven't used the Polytune, but I like my tuner first in the chain. That way it gets the clearest signal from the guitar, regardless of whether ODs and whatnot are turned on at the time.