Vid Clip: EMG 58 (not 85), Racktifier, Studio, RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ82

Reaction score
Yup, 58 and not 85. This one seems to be an overlooked or forgotten pickup and you really don't hear much talk about it but I recently received one after wanting to try it out for awhile and I gotta say I really dig it. This was one of EMG's first designs waaaaaaaaaay back in the day and I Guess they didn't really put it out much cuz it was kinda noisy. Then they came out with the 81 and it got popular/took off in 1981. Shortly after that, they took the 58 and used as a basis for what would become the 85.

It is kinda noisy...well, not exactly noisy but it is very sensitive to surroundings and I find myself trying to avoid facing the guitar/pickup from certain areas to avoid noise. When you aren't facing anything that causes noise, it's pretty silent.

The best way I can describe the tone is to say it's kinda like a beefy PAF with P90 clarity/jangle and it has that great active punch. It's pretty thick, has plenty of output, and is right at home for classic/older tones to more modern and heavy stuff. It seriously makes my 81 sound wimpy when it comes to palm mutes...they sound and FEEL much wider, like a mini explosion under your hand.

anyway, I dig it and I know not many others have checked it out so here's a quick vid. As usual, please excuse the crappo digital camera mic...I'll get a decent recording setup one day :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8S8ENKXqzWg

Very cool. Some great tones..very "real"..not as generic as the 85s, imho.
-GtrGeorge