Want to start recording, help please.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel City Psycho

Reaction score
I have this Dell laptop.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/notebooks/inspnnb_152x/pd.aspx?refid=inspnnb_152x&cs=22&s=dfh

I'm pretty sure that it's the AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-55 one, I am not on it at the moment.

I am not a fan of computers. I am not very computer literate, I can check e-mail and post on this forum...

I know I need an audio interface, possibly upgrade my sound card, and software.

I don't want anything too expensive and I don't want a program with a bunch of amp modelers and all that stuff.

Basically, all I want is a simple set up to mic my amps, guitar and bass, with a Shure SM57 and record, maybe something that would be drum program friendly so I can get one to add some drums.

What kind of interface should I get, aren't there ones with built in sound cards?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I recently went down this road with some help from the guys here.

I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Pro, 2 gigs of RAM. I got a Focusrite Saffire firewire interface, Cubase LE and BFD for programmed drums. It's a cheap and effective way to start.

The only problem is that the Saffire has only 4 inputs which is not ideal when redording drums etc. I'm getting my drum mics this week which I'll send thru a 16 channel into the Saffire. I wont have the flexibility to edit each drum in Cubase, but I guess I'll have to get a good drum sound to begin with, and go from there.