What the Flim Flam

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunter

Reaction score
So i hear so many great clips on this forum, and rarely do i see what folks are using to record. So

What is a good cheap way to capture my RM100 sound? What mics yall use? What Program you record to? What interface etc?

I normally just play into my LINE6 TONEPORT GX, Cheap I know but i can get ideas down, but its just not the real deal.

Any thoughts, input, ideas, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Thnks.

Along with what TheHunter said, has anybody heard of the Mackie Onyx Satellite recording interface? It looks pretty solid, but I can't find any clips to hear how clear it is. I'm going to be investing into some recording gear soon, so I'm also interested in this. My guess is that mics will be SM57.

What platform are you guys using? Mac or PC?

1. Mic your amp/cab, whenever possible. At least 1 inch off the grill and move it across the front until you get a tone you like. Mine is usually about 1.5 - 2 inches in front.

2. Good, inexpensive mic's for guitar are: Shure SM57 and Sennheiser E609.

3. Preamp/interface is important. Presonus, IMHO, is by far, the best bang for the buck without going boutique. I use the original Firepod. They have 1-2 channel pre's, too.

4. Most software nowadays is good enough to record a semi-pro/pro production, but some still suck. I use Logic Pro 8, and it's so loaded I've barely scratched the surface of it's power.

Make your amp do the work and not your computer or interface, meaning: achieve your tone at a moderate level (or higher). When I record, I use whatever level my amp needs to be at for the tone I need.

Maybe this is start for you? I'm sure other engineers will jump in on this, too.

If at all possible, include one mike as far away as possible, across the room and assign it a track of it's own. Mixing that with close miking, as the previous post describes, can get you a very nice tone. On one recording, I put my Kendrick 2410 at the bottom of a stairwell, put one mike off axis at the speaker, and another at the top of the stairs. Gave a great, eerie echo. Also, mike the back of the amp (if it's open back) but remember, it will be 180 degrees out of phase. So, reverse the phase on your board, which is one good reason to use low impedance mikes, they're easier to reverse. Experiment, and don't forget to write down and make a diagram of what you did so you can reproduce it again or remember what didn't work! Pat L.

Sacred:
Thats some very good info thank you. As a matter of fact my friend has a Firepod studio rack thingy magig and he recomended the firebox so now that you have backed it up i think thats what i will get. As for the mic i have mic'd my cabs throught the E609 before and man it was beautiful so you just confirmed every thing I had in mind. Thanks As for the software you say Logic Pro * is good HUH? I look it up. I was thinking about getting Reaper What do you think?

Kc2eeb: How do you reverse the phse with an interface PC unit? Using only 2 channels how might i get this effect? Is it neccessary to mic the back, can i get away with just 2 mics and still get a good tone?

good tutorial http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

TheHunter said:
Sacred:
Thats some very good info thank you. As a matter of fact my friend has a Firepod studio rack thingy magig and he recomended the firebox so now that you have backed it up i think thats what i will get. As for the mic i have mic'd my cabs throught the E609 before and man it was beautiful so you just confirmed every thing I had in mind. Thanks As for the software you say Logic Pro * is good HUH? I look it up. I was thinking about getting Reaper What do you think?

Kc2eeb: How do you reverse the phse with an interface PC unit? Using only 2 channels how might i get this effect? Is it neccessary to mic the back, can i get away with just 2 mics and still get a good tone?

I've never used Reaper. Don't know anything about it.

Logic 8 is cool because you can have your choice of a mixer, sample editor, piano roll window open at anytime, within the main screen. It also works great with EZDrummer and it's multi-out feature--1 tk w/ multi aux tk's to control every drum track. It can be very overwhelming, at first, but it has an extensive manual, that I refer to a lot.

Also, with mic's, I've used both SM57 and E609 and blended them to get a tone. Mic'ing the rear is a cool idea, I've done it to Bass amps and it works really well. I don't do it with guitar, nor a room mic, unless I really need help getting an ambient-type tone.

Cool Im glad i started this thread, im getting some great ideas and inspiration. Im gonna start saving up so i can get all the fun toys.

Thanks Sacred and all who participated.

great vid...a bit long winded though ... but there was a lot of useful info i didn't know ... so thanks for posting!!! much appreiciated ... and to add probably the best vid i've ever checked out on the net for guitar recording ... the Guitar has always been a problem for me which is why i LOVE the Mic elim !!! but i will surely put this new info to use and combine it with mic's and the elim !!

tung said:
ONE WORD:
MIC ELIMINATOR on the MTS cabs, awesome for recording!

I was thinking something the other day.

Does the elimantor need to be hooked up to an actual cab to work?

Or could you just buy one as a stand alone so you can record direct but still get cab benefits?

Yeah, this video covered the basics and a bit more. We digging this thema long time and have very similar results/experiences independently. And in every famous studio recording guitars this way aproximately (and mostly with these mics :) ofcourse I?m talking?bout riffs. (solo and clean sound, it can be different song)

there is missing only one very goog "trick", using cond.mic too, which can bring huge bottom (which every metal guy wants and chasing it with all other bad ways :), Mix SM57s with cond.mic can give you all what is neccesary for good sound.

1st choice would be a Royer or Naked Eye Ribbon

Economical but solid results can come from taking (2) 57s and putting them next to each other right up on the grill. A 57 will sound bad until you find the sweet spot, which can be tedious, as compared to the hi end ribbons that are almost impossible not to find the sweet spot...2 57s almost ensure a decent tone

The key to all of this is a great preamp. The cheapest choice for quality may be the Brick, but I would venture to say a UA solo would be bare minimum.

Any of these mics through a prosumer pre will sound thin and frustrate the user, I can't stress the preamp component enough. I think I can take a radio shack mic and put it through my 6176 and make it sing. A Royer into an Art may turn out harsh.

My 3 cents

How do you feel about the pre's in a Firebox or anything from presonus.

Keep in mind i know little about this so maybe im asking the wrong question!

LOL

All of my MTS clips have been either with a cheapo M-audio two input thing (was like $99 with two mics at Guitar Center during a 'never again until next week' sale) or done from recording on my D3200 Korg and then transferring the files digitally to my PC.