Which module for Richie Kotzen tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hearing Richie play recently, through a little Cornford combo, I would say the SL+ comes closest of the modules I've heard. But it wouldn't hurt to have his fingers as well - he really digs in.

I agree. I think any of the hot-rodded Marshall mods will get you close. I think in Kotzen's case, the guitar is a bigger part of the equation than the amp.

Then again, I guess it would depend on which Kotzen album you're trying to emulate. He's used Ibanez RGs, telecasters, strats, etc. and his albums run the gamut from twangy to shreddy to really heavy.

I'm referring to the tone he's recorded in mor recent years. His tone on 40 Duece is great! I love the tracks I still, Used, and Remember.

I most recently saw him using his sig Tele, straight into the Cornford combo which I mentioned before, sounded in the realm of the SL+, but the guitar sounds on the 40 Deuces, if I remember correctly, sounded quite a bit heavier, less organic - off the top of my head, I'm thinking the Lynch Grail mod for that.

Consider that he's using Cornford RK amps, which is his sig model, I would say I got a tone pretty close to the Cornford by running an XTC module with a good boost pedal.
Nothing compares to a Cornford though, it has serious tone of its own

I agree about the Cornford. Pretty unique tone, but I still think the SL+ will get you 90% of the way there.