Which module is closest to a gallien-krueger

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
For a while I've been considering picking up a GK just to see how well I can re-create the SIT/SS tones.
But now I'm thinking of getting a Synergy, primarily because I've always wanted to try a SLO.

So I'm wondering if any of the modules would be able to get pretty darn close to the GK250 or GK2000/2100 tones?

I know part of the key to the tone was the built-in chorus, but I do have a strymon tri-chorus and a boss dimension, so I'm hoping i can get pretty close on the chorus there. Plus a polara reveb.

A key par of the Solid-state GK sound is the heavy compression and saturated upper mids.

I"m wondering if either the 800 or Plexi synergy modules might be the best bet? I think that besides the SIT/SS albums. the JCM800 clone might be the closest. And i hear a JMP-1 or JCM800/900 can get close to the SIT tones. But from youtube demos, I think I like the sound of the plexi clone more than the 800 clone. But always impossible to tell for sure over youtube. The lead tone on powerslave would be great to nail too. It's got that open vowel neck PU+half cocked wah sound, while still being super upper-middy/bright at the same time.

I do have a compressor and overdrive, so this can make up a preamp with all the right properties that just needs more gain.

Hope this isn't a dumb question. What does "SIT/SS" mean?

The only guitar player I can remember playing those little GK amps way back when was Alex Lifeson, for a little while. I can't think of any albums with those initials.

SIT = Somewhere In Time
SS = Seventh Son

Gallien Krueger guitar amps were all over the future 80's tones.
Iron Maiden, Rush, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Bon Jovi, Motly Crue, Extreme, ZZ Top, all used them for an iconic album or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsl-bB7lmk

When I think Maiden, I think JCM800. If you're interested in a SLO, I'd split the difference and have Antoin make you a Mash-oldano.

IMO, the GK-ML250 combo is unique and of itself. The corresponding GK-250 head didn't sound like the combo, regardless of the cabinet, because the "sound" of the combo came from the stereo linked 6" speakers in conjunction with their built-in chorus/delay, which featured about 30ms of slapback echo between the two speakers.

Once the Stereo Chorus was disengaged, the amp didn't sound very good, IMO, because it was brittle and harsh. For a solid state head, the GK-RG200 was really cool and way closer to a Marshall than just about any solid-state head that was out at the time but it didn't have that GK-ML250 stereo chorus/delay, which along with a Rockman, pretty much defined the late 80's guitar tone.

You haven't indicated whether this is use in a studio or live but if this is for recording purposes, TC Electronic has released a VST Plugin version of the TC-2290 Chorus/Flanger/Delay, which is capable of simulating the GK Chorus/Delay, as is the Eventide H3000F plugin. The SLO, HBE and 800 should be able to replicate the amp part but you'll definitely need the "right" stereo chorus/delay settings to emulate that specific GK tone.

Good luck!

SIT == Somewhere In Time. SS == Seventh Son? You can cop Maiden tones all day with a Synergy rig, they probably won’t sound exactly like the GK since it is an SS amp but that wouldn’t bug me personally.... :wink: Plus you’d need FX like the chorus.

If you are dead set on that GK amp’s tone, if you can track one down they go for nothing on the used market, though. So that might be worth the effort. Old SS combos are not really considered vintage.