Why would I want a Rack compressor?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeguitar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm building a rack to host several goodies and have been looking for gear to put in there!

I noticed some players use rack compressor (like dbx166). I'm wondering if one would help me out in anyway other than brickwall limiting atm which I think isn't really necessary. Usually more of a less is more approach to gear and engineering but I'm willing to try new things so...

I usually don't play loud, play inside and sometimes through impulse modeling.

So guitar slutz anymore need for a compressor? Parallel, Serial, output before/after fx?? Or use it for tonal effect?

from my own experience I have never needed a compressor at all... and the only time I ever had one in my rack was to use the noise gate feature (but my g-major does that for me now). It does depends on the style of music you play and the amps that you are using. I play mostly with heavily distorted tones, so they are already compressed, addition compression only causes sonic damage IMO. I have found that when using a clean tone sometimes a compressor may be beneficial, but for myself I have always manage to work around even that and still have a decent clean tone...

i'd be interested in how others improved their rig with a compressor....for myself I run one thing in the loop, my g-major and that's it. (the g-major does have a compressor but i don't like or use it)

If you play low or medium gain..then it MIGHT be worth i to you..but nowsadays there are few reasons to go with a rack compressor.

Don't bother with a rack compressor. The best way to go is with a Keeley compressor pedal. I have had one for a couple of years now and I use it for cleans and sometimes even with gainier tones. It always puts the nicest edge on the sound and it's built like a tank.
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8
This unit has racked up a lot of accolades over the years and well deserved. It is a magic little box. I still use it because my GMajor2 is in the serial loop and compressors tend to work better in front of the preamp IMO.
GPEditorsPick%20v2.jpg

Check it out. If compression is what you need, go for the best. Don't waste time playing around with junk or overkill. Boutique Goodness all the way.