xpression or g major?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newelly87

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to midi and im looking at getting a rack effect processor to use with my RM100. Im pretty sure im going to be using a Rockrton midi mate as my board but im unsure as to what processor to get. Could you guys please give whatever advice you can on the pros and cons of both and just your general oppinion.

My main goal is to get a rig together that will allow me to add different effects to my channels. Eg. switch from clean with chorus to distortion with delay by just pressing one button. Will this setup allow me to do this?

Also do you think that the midi mate is a good midi foot board. It seems to be alright from what i've seen but if you have any oppinions about it or any other recomendations please fire away.

Thanks

I use an xpression and a midimate , both great. midimate is just awesome , sturdy,nice display, phantom powered through a 7-pin midi cable and straight from my RM4 (don't know if the RM100 has this option)

Raf

I also use Xpressions (two of them) with both my RM4 and RT2/50 rig and soon with my RM100 (once someone trades me for my RM50). I control them with a Midimate and it's great. You run the Midimate into the Xpression, the Xpression to the Randall and your all set. You just set the program change on the Midimate to tell the Randall (it is "Set 2" I believe in the Program Change menu) which module slot to switch to and your set. Very easy. I recommend it.

I've used a midimate and G-major, worked well. I don't think you can go wrong with either setup. Mine was programmed so bottom 5 buttons were presets and would turn on different programs and switch channels, top 5 were set up like stompboxes for effects on the G-major - one was tap tempo, one was delay on/off, on was chorus, one was a lead boost, one was just extra. Three of the bottom five were each channels on the RM100 - clean w/chorus and verb, overdrive w/verb, lead w/delay. Last two were overdrive and lead channels with a slightly scooped EQ in the g-major and volume boosted a bit to compensate in the mix.

Pete

I use a Rockton Multivalve (the older version of the expression) its mostly the same but mine has a tube and channel switch built in. Anyway I love it. it took me awhile to get it setup and running how I wanted but as far as creating and editing patches its very easy to use. It seams to color my tone slightly when run through the loop (not enough to really bother me), but if you makes some eq adjustments on it you can compensate for it.

I really like the effects and I can get any sound that I would want from it. I went with the multivalve because I got a good deal on it (they don't make them anymore) and also I like having the channel switching option just in case.

I have head some horror stories with the gmajor as far as quality control and I felt the Rockton reviews were a little better when comparing the two. But I personally have not used the gmajor. But the gmajor was my second choice, they are very popular.

Also both my other guitarist and i have a multivalve he uses a Midimate and i have a ground control pro. He doesn't have any issues at all with the midimate, it seams solid .

I had both. I thought the delays on the g-major were much nicer however, i didn't like how it attenuated the high end when the effects where bypassed compare to the rocktron. Asides that, the effects on both units are pretty comparable. I ended up selling both on the advice of somebody online to get an older replifex. Did that and i just i like how much sturdier it feels compared to the xpression + no annoying blue light. Might have a couple less features but i only wanted a tranparent delay, chorus and reverb on my loop at the end.

I have owned both the xpression and the G-Major. I recently sold the xpression because the g-major sounded soo great. I also had some glitches with the xpression. I'm currently using the G-major with the midimate, but will be upgrading to the all access controller. I just found the g major easier to navigate, and the quality of effects is much greater.