XTC Mod Project Discussion

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm looking to discuss XTC mods.

I traded a stock XTC for a stock Plexi with slashstrings... great guy to deal with no hassles and talented player with a good ear.

Lots of chat about this mod and rightfully so the Bogner XTC is one killer tone generator. Unfortunatly there is quite a bit of negative chat on the stock XTC.

Straight Up! I find that this module is muddy it has good treble detailing and the bass is ok but to my ear the mud is in the lower mids and mids. In general the mids are not as good as they could be and also the brite switch seems to worsen the mud.

There will probably be some pro modders on here that may not want to share secrets... no worries I'm not looking to press anyone for info here the purpose of this thread is to open some discussion on what mods specifically in your opinion would make the XTC better at getting more authentic XTC tones... clearing up the mud, making it more flexable, and making it more fedelic.

I would also like to add that some decent tones can be gotten from the stock XTC... it's not the most simple mod to dial in due to it's non fexible nature and muddy disposition. I had to tweek it and get to know it and finally I found the sweet spots.

I'm going to record the XTC stock with my PRS SC245 with a EV Raven mic using only Monster cables for the mic and guitar. Straight into the amp, no effects, twiddle the dials a little and then after some modding do it again.

This will take some time however it will likely be an interesting journey.
I have not purchased any modded module nor have I modded any modules in teh past. I am however competant with a soldering iron and schmatics as this is something I've worked with in my 25 years as an Electrician and the past 10 years as owner operator of CTEK Instrument Repair and maintenance.

I intend this to be a group discussion that will put in place a collective decision making process... we suggest and we discuss then I perform the mods and record the results. When happiness is reached the mod gets named. I will have a custom faceplate made. The mod then goes in my rig and gets used for live shows and recording.

Other like minded tinkerers can track progress and perform mods of thier own... sounds like fun to me!

To start... what basic mod should be done to the XTC and what components do you recommend I change out.

Please give details and I will obtain the parts and do the work... I'm off to record some stock XTC tones.

First mod may be tighten up the bass cap

You can dial in some lead tones with XTC, but for rhythms I'd look elsewhere

I agree it does not have the difinition and tight bass and chuncky mids for rhythm... leads it pretty cool but still it could be better.

What specifically do you suggest... which cap should I pull and which cap will replace it.

I'd like to take suggestions throughout the week and by next weekend do the first mod and sound files.

Ok got the XTC PCB layout printed from the files pete provided.

I'm reading a .0022u for the bass cap or position C1... this should be called C3 i believe.

Here's what you get with each capacitor change:

.0047u - Lots of low end in the gain making the attack feel soft
.0022u - cuts the lows in the gain a little making it tighter (stock on XTC)
.001u - this value gives the module really tight pick attack.

From this discription this sounds like the right stuff for this module... maybe I will change the stock cap out for a better quality orange drop cap.. I got a few of those kicking around I believe.

Any other suggestions?

Every clip I've heard needs more mids. I'm a bit old fashioned on this stuff, but i don't like the scooped mids sound at all. Something about exposing that 200 Hz upper bass that muddies over everything.

I think a lot of stuff is getting turned out with the mid eq center in the wrong place. 400 Hz is for the Mesa Dual Ice Pick. 650 Hz is for Marshall up through the 2000.

khingpynn said:
Ok got the XTC PCB layout printed from the files pete provided.

I'm reading a .0022u for the bass cap or position C1... this should be called C3 i believe.

Here's what you get with each capacitor change:

.0047u - Lots of low end in the gain making the attack feel soft
.0022u - cuts the lows in the gain a little making it tighter (stock on XTC)
.001u - this value gives the module really tight pick attack.

From this discription this sounds like the right stuff for this module... maybe I will change the stock cap out for a better quality orange drop cap.. I got a few of those kicking around I believe.

Any other suggestions?

Here's what I've done:
--"High Gain" Ruby 12ax7 in V2
--C1 changed to 1500pF (.0015uF)
When I want it even smoother/tighter I boost with a MXR ZWOD. This is my go to for high gain rhythm.

I can set the gain and bass @ 2-3 o'clock and be worry free. If I use my modded TS or MXR Microamp I have to dial back some bass, but with these pedals I get a fat/in-your-face lead tone.

My main guitar is a stock ESP Serpent, so take that into account too.

Here's what I've done:

Excellent comments... do you have any sound clips of this mod?

I forgot to mention to keep things the same I am going to use JJ 12AX7 as I believe this mod ships with those. The goal is to get the module sounding killer with the shipped tubes then maybe after that i will go through some of the tubes i have and see what happens.

Julia said:
Every clip I've heard needs more mids. I'm a bit old fashioned on this stuff, but i don't like the scooped mids sound at all.

Amen to that. The mids are what it's at.

Something about exposing that 200 Hz upper bass that muddies over everything.

100% correct, that is a danger zone.

khingpynn said:
Here's what I've done:

Excellent comments... do you have any sound clips of this mod?

I forgot to mention to keep things the same I am going to use JJ 12AX7 as I believe this mod ships with those. The goal is to get the module sounding killer with the shipped tubes then maybe after that i will go through some of the tubes i have and see what happens.

Here's a clip I did awhile ago. It's the only one I have available with the XTC, at the moment. I believe I used the MXR Microamp boost. There is no bass on the clip, just guitar (double tracked) and drums and there's no processing (except for mic placement).

Comparison:
XTC-- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754138&content=songinfo&songID=7011986
Tread Plate (modded)-- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754138&content=songinfo&songID=7065390

I always felt that there was a killer tone hiding in the XTC module, but I had to go pry it out. The biggest issues were gain and compression, and I think I've solved it, for myself anyhow. I get tones from it that no other modules can. It's very articulate at high gain settings, but can still growl and scream. The next thing closest to it is my modded SL+, but I still end up using the XTC...LOL. :wink:

Dude let me be the first to say fucking killer riffage!!!

I love both... those are excellent sounding modules. Yes this is a very good XTC and the treadplate is awsome too.

Goldfish said:
Julia said:
Every clip I've heard needs more mids. I'm a bit old fashioned on this stuff, but i don't like the scooped mids sound at all.

Amen to that. The mids are what it's at.

Something about exposing that 200 Hz upper bass that muddies over everything.

100% correct, that is a danger zone.

Interesting thread !

What would you say where the famous xtc low mids are centered ? Somewhere around 300-400 Hz ? My idea is to take a good organic Plexi / Rock Sound and add those low mids via a parametric EQ to achieve a xtc blue channel type sound. Unsure about the frequency as well as the Q factor though. Would the EQ make more sense before or after the preamp ?

But I don?t want to hijack this thread... Are you heading with your modification more to a blue or a red channel sound ? I think a real good blue channel type of module is missing, most mods seem to go more into the red channel direction.

As it stands right now after some discussion with some helpful folks here, referencing my Tube Amp handbook and looking through my components... I'm going to change out and upgrade some components with same rating better quality... a warmth and clarity mod.

While i'm at it I am going to do my Brahma as well.

I will then post some results online... expect this in the next week or two.

SacredGroove said:
Here's a clip I did awhile ago. It's the only one I have available with the XTC, at the moment. I believe I used the MXR Microamp boost. There is no bass on the clip, just guitar (double tracked) and drums and there's no processing (except for mic placement).

Comparison:
XTC-- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754138&content=songinfo&songID=7011986
Tread Plate (modded)-- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754138&content=songinfo&songID=7065390

I always felt that there was a killer tone hiding in the XTC module, but I had to go pry it out. The biggest issues were gain and compression, and I think I've solved it, for myself anyhow. I get tones from it that no other modules can. It's very articulate at high gain settings, but can still growl and scream. The next thing closest to it is my modded SL+, but I still end up using the XTC...LOL. :wink:

The XTC sounds a lot better than the Treadplate in that clip...nice!

I like both for sure and would be happy with those tones in my arsenal however the XTC is the tone I'm looking for most at this time and that sound file just nails it for mid gain. Still though it would be great to hear it with the gain at about 75%.

I used my stock Mr Scary for recording this weekend... it sounded pretty killer... what a great out of the box module that is.

Hey Craig, as my luck turns out i get an email last night from a band for an audition and they play mosy Buckcherry and Alice in Chains, LOL, go figure right after the XTC walks out my door, hehe

whats the band name? we play some Alice In Chains... not as much as I'd like to and we do some Buckcherry too... BC has some fun tunes!
Let me know how you make out... we need bands for gigs...

Hey Craig,
How are you making out so far with the XTC mod?
I'm thinking of getting Trace from Voodoo to mod mine. Really in love with the Diezel since playing it at NAMM. i believe with the right mod, the XTC can get close.

I'm going to mod mine by changing out certain caps and resister with same value at first. Have not done it yet but I will post before and after audio when I do... should be completed in teh next week or so.

The Diezel Herbert... is that the amp you like?

Cheers