2 cabs 1 head?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reilly

Reaction score
im running a 4x12 randall G3 cab and a 2x12 randall G3 cab, both are 8ohm cabs. whats the best way to connect this to the RM100?

it sounds silly but what i really want to know is if i plug one cab into the main output and one cab into the extention output on the head do i leave the Ohms setting on the Amp @ 8ohms?

Or i could daisy chain the cabs together and I would set the ohms on the head to 4ohm. (correct?)

I just want to know whats the best/most efficent way to set this up so the head isnt working any harder than it has to.

thanks

If you plug both cabs into the RM100 then the cabs will be in parallel and will be 4 Ohms total. In that case you would set your amp to 4 Ohms.

If you daisy chain the cabs together than they will be in series and will be 16 Ohms total. In that case you would set your amp to 16 Ohms.

One cab... set the amp to 8 Ohms.

It really doesn't matter how you setup the cabs as long as you keep your Ohms matched between the amp and cabs. Some people like using the 16 Ohm setup and others like the 4 ohm setup. Both setups will sound a little different ( if any different ) so try both ways and see what you like best, but KEEP the Ohms matched! Mismatching Ohms can and will release the magic smoke in the output transformer of tube amps.

So, to expand on this, does anyone know if the extension output on the Randall head is wired in series or parallel with the main output? I have an RM50 and I presume it is the same as the RM100... I think most amps have them in parallel, but I also have a MusicMan amp that has the outputs in series.. Also, I've been told that it is okay to connect an 8-ohm cab and a 4-ohm cab in series (12-ohm) and that setting the amp to either 8 or 16 would be okay. Is that true? Dave

DaveS said:
So, to expand on this, does anyone know if the extension output on the Randall head is wired in series or parallel with the main output? I have an RM50 and I presume it is the same as the RM100... I think most amps have them in parallel, but I also have a MusicMan amp that has the outputs in series.. Also, I've been told that it is okay to connect an 8-ohm cab and a 4-ohm cab in series (12-ohm) and that setting the amp to either 8 or 16 would be okay. Is that true? Dave

In that case I would set the amp to 8 Ohms. Its always better to keep the amps Ohm setting lower than the load to prevent the output transformer from burning up.

As far as I understand, all of the MTS have the speaker jacks wired in parallel.

it's okay to go lower into higher (4ohm into 16ohm cab) just NEVER higher into lower. (16ohm into 4 ohm cab)