6550 tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc74868

Reaction score
I'm slightly curious about swapping 6L6s out for 6550s in my RM50. I can't seem to find much information out there about the tone for these tubes, just a few people stating they give "more headroom". Obviously, tone is very subjective, but I'd just like to hear what players who've ran them think about the tone with these tubes.

jc74868 said:
I'm slightly curious about swapping 6L6s out for 6550s in my RM50. I can't seem to find much information out there about the tone for these tubes, just a few people stating they give "more headroom". Obviously, tone is very subjective, but I'd just like to hear what players who've ran them think about the tone with these tubes.

They just sound like there is more space to deal with...The lows are low and highs are high....They don't break up easily at all which is cool if you love you preamp tone and don't want to color it as much or if you are more of a clean guy...You can get some crushing brutality with preamp gain and clarity thru 6550s that is hard to describe beyond the "headroom" issue....You just have a lot of volume before any real noticeable breakup from the power tubes...

i found this eurotube guide on JJ's to be helpful:

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-ECC83-12AX7-EL84-EL34-6L6-6V6-KT77-6CA7-KT88.htm

I might have to give them a try. The modules that I'm using (KH3 & JF Trilogy) both seem to have much better tone with their levels around 11 o'clock or lower and the master adjusted for stage volume. Maybe 6550s will give similar tone, but may have a little more volume and thump on tap, if needed

I didn't like them but I am more of an EL34's crunchy mids kind of guy.

I sold the two pairs of 6550's I had on here. Maybe one of the parties that bought them will chime in and give there interpretation.

Most people who dig EL34s don't tend to dig 6550s and like to stay around 6CA7s, KT77, and the occasional 6L6 tube...

6L6 guys like KT88s, all 6L6 varieties and 6550s on occasion....

6550 guys can tolerate 6L6GC and MAYBE EL34L....Short of that, ???

At least in my experience...We all have a power tube we prefer....Modules make it difficult because power tubes become pretty important when achieving a more specific tone- hence my stable of RM amps...

I just want to add that the tungsol 5881 is great in that amp. When want more headroom than that, the EH kt88 is where I would turn to for the 6550 flavor.

I still haven't tried 6550s, but I did try EL34s. I think I actually like them better than 6L6s. They just seem tighter, more focused and less boomy in the wrong places. I always thought I was a 6L6 guy. Maybe I was wrong!