6L6 or KT88's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbomb12

Reaction score
When I first got my RM4, I thought I would be using a much wider range of tones (from classic to modern). At the moment I have a Peavey 50/50 Classic Poweramp, loaded with EL84 (which I hear sound like mini EL34). So, generally its able to handle classic sounding tones really well, but I have a feeling that Heavy, more modern modules sound less impressive as they would if I were to be using 6L6s or even KT88s.

At the moment though, I'm starting to play with people who play MUCH MUCH more aggressive music (Modern Metal, and Hardcore) and my rig definitely doesn't seem to have the same punch as other guys' rigs with 6L6s in them.

Anyways, my question is; what would suit the heavier styles better? 6L6s or the KT88's. (or a way to rephrase that highly subjective question, which power tubes do YOU prefer to play through when playing Metal or Heavy stuff?)

If I go with 6L6s, I'm thinking that I will use buy a VHT 2/50/2 with 6L6s; or if I go with the Kt88s, I'll buy the 2/90/2

There was a thread on this forum a while back were someone compaired a 2/50/2 to a 2/90/2. the guy ended up with one of each...something about insurance?!?

Anyway I tried searching the forum and didn't have any luck finding it.

yeah I remember skimming through this awhile ago...It was mostly comparing EL34 equipped 2/50/2s (Rather than 6L6s) with the 2/90/2 (KT-88s)

However, John .C did point out that the 2/50/2 isn't an Ideal Amp to use 6L6s.

dude...get the rt2/50. you can run both if you want and channel switch them. the thing is every bit as good as the vht.

the RT2/50 was designed to accept a wide variety of power tubes. the manual itself doesn't specify KT88s, but it does list these:
EL34
6L6
6CA7
My guess is that as long as you can figure out what the correct bias setting would be that you'd be able to put KT88s in there. However, I don't have one and I'm not an expert, so it would probably be a good idea to check with Randall on that one.

I've got one and it will run the kt 88 according to bruce.I've never tried them but would like to.I rum the mod through it with 6l6gc and e34ls jjs and it rips a**.Its nice to be flexible,best of both worlds.But iwould love to try the kt 88s.

JMG .What are your favourite hi gain mods and what are the differences in the eg3 recto and MHG as far as Harmonics .gain

I just ordered a matched set of JJ KT-88's from Bob @ EuroTubes for my MOD50 head so hopefully I should be getting them right around or right after christmas so I'll let you guys know how they sound! :D

I love them all so far.The mhg is awesome ,lots of gain and harmonics very heavy metal ,the eg3/4 is similar but smooth and rich very nice and the erect doesn't have as much gain but it has sovtek wa tubes and the others have eh.The erect has a fatter sound but smooth great leads.They all have there own character but they all have that 3 dimensional tone that I never get tired of hearing,at any level It's hard to say which one I like the best but the mhg is a full throttle muther.It should come with seatbelts LOL.............

Thats cool about the rt2/50...

but...

I'm still looking of people's opinion/preference when it comes to 6L6s Vs KT-88s for High gain modern Metal

@jmgman70

Hey, in those Dual-Channel egnater Modules; are the 1st and 2nd channels voiced differently (ie first channel is "Rhythm", the second is "lead"). Are are they essentially the same, but offer different gain and mastering options?

The second channels are hotter than the first same eq but each has its own master and gain .rhythym lead kinda thing if you like.

Just wondering how much gain do the EG3 have if you set it at 3 quarters .it sounds similar to the plexi to my ears but is it similar is gain level or is there much more .
sorry bout the questions i live in canada and cant check them out .
I need a George Lynch, Zakk Wylde .(on No more Tears ) level of gain i would use the EG4 side for my leads .I dont Play really heavy metal so im wondering if the MHG will be too much on the rythm side

I had the single channel eg3 and a/b'd it with the dual and it was pretty dam close to being the same.I had the gain at about 3 oclock to get it going but with the dual channel I have them set at noon.The mhg can be very lynchish at about 12 oclock gain some fine tuning .It can get nice and aggressive when needed but not harsh when the gain is way up.IMO

MetalMajik said:
StrangeLand said:
I love the KT 88's in my RM100. It made the Ultra XL really come alive.

You use the KT-88's with the EL-34's, Right? This is what I want to do when I upgrade to an RM-100
Yup. it sounds killer. It made everything alot fuller. I'm pushing a full stack and can really lite up the power amp. It was a noticable difference..

Thanks Jmg.
So it sounds like most of the high gain mods have a similar core tone .
The MHG sounds great . I was just concerned it might be too agressive or scooped for my needs.
In the M4 clips from JD there is this roar that is very present in the Sl and the eg3 .at the very beginning of the clip i think its a G chord.,I just want to make sure that the MHG doesnt lose that .
If anyone had more comparision clips it would be awesome but they are very rare