A power tube theory...verification please?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymzrock

Reaction score
Okay, while reading the thread that Bruce Almighty put up asking about what made a great module in the "Modules" section...someone noted that some tones sound great and are better suited for 6L6's, while others for EL34's. I know the RT-2/50 has both on either side, yadda yadda. As an RM100 guy, here's my theory. The power tubes on the RM100 have fuses that you can pull if you wanted to run 50W without having to pull tubes. So, with 6's in 1 and 4; and 34's in 2 and 3 couldn't you theoretically have those tube options even with the RM100? Sure, it wouldn't be "On the Fly" but for recording or a set-by-set basis couldn't you run your Fender/Peaveys through the 6L6's at 50W, and conversely your Marshallies through the EL34's simply by pulling the opposing breakers? And hell, even have a cool sounding blend of the two when running at the full 100W...? I tend to kinda talk in circles but this is a pretty valid theory, right?

I have run this blend when I had a 100. Sounded great. Now even though peeps get away with it, Bruce recommended not running with just two tubes in the 100. But if you did I believe you should just run the two and three tube positions only.

Interesting...I guess it wouldnt be good to run at half power as all the other components are designed to accompany 100W. At least not for very long anyhow. Strange that Randall would put out a video saying to do exactly that if you only wanted 50W. Mine came with EL34's and I honestly think with the mods I've chosen 6L6's would bring out the best in 'em. Although the blend could be quite interesting.

You have to rebias when you disconnect two of the tubes. Bias voltage is affected when you turn off or take out two power tubes. I usually run two el34 and 2 6l6's. very warm full tone.