Amp build class_April

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce egnater

Reaction score
Planning to start up the amp building classes in the spring (April-ish). Considering taking it "on the road". Don't want to ship all the stuff we need to bring so locations need to be within driving distance from Detroit, MI. Suggestions? Chicago? Nashville? New York? Sounds like a great time to me..

Bruce
[email protected]

If you do it in the NYC or Boston area, it would be less expensive and easier to access, especially by car, to have the class(es) just out of the city(ies) limits, like Nassau county in NY or Brookline or Somerville in MA.

Actually, I am designing a new amp for the classes. Smaller, lower power (20watts/two 6V6 power tubes) with some different cool features. May offer it as a head or 1x12 combo.
Because it will be a new design, I want to do the first class close to home, probably in May, to be sure there are no issues. I can then feel better about taking it "on the road". Anyone interested?

Zander said:
Los Angeles! :)
+1 I'm SO in for a L.A. class. Here's to hoping!

bruce egnater said:
Actually, I am designing a new amp for the classes. Smaller, lower power (20watts/two 6V6 power tubes) with some different cool features. May offer it as a head or 1x12 combo.
Because it will be a new design, I want to do the first class close to home, probably in May, to be sure there are no issues. I can then feel better about taking it "on the road". Anyone interested?

That sounds pretty cool. I know everyone said the Seminar heads screamed. Hopefully this new head has the same tone & feel, but with less power. A 20-watt hot rodded JCM800 would be amazing!

Looks like we will be doing one class here in Detroit on Sat/Sun April 26&27 with the new amp. 20 watts with two 6V6 tubes and some new, cool features. Cost should be around $1600 total. Email me for more details if you are interested.
Thanks
Bruce
[email protected]

FYI, our classes are not really intended to make you an instant design engineer. The idea is that you get hands on experience and spend one of the two days in a sort of lecture/question session. You can fumble around for a long time trying to learn bits and pieces or learn a ton of stuff in a couple of days. Building and modifying guitar amps is a fun and rewarding hobby. I would like to think we can be the ones who help get you started and give you the knowledge to go off and do cool stuff on your own.

OK. Sorry to flip/flop on you. This is the official announcement for the amp class to be held in Detroit on Sat/Sun April 26 & 27. After examining the additional cost to "take it on the road" and some other factors (new amp design, Ian is getting married in June etc.), we decided to postpone the road trips and do the April class here. FYI, the cost for the Detroit class will be $1550. Approximate cost for the "road trip" classes will be more like $1800 because of the added travel costs. Email me for more info and sign up forms. Since we haven't done these for a while, I expect the class may fill rather quickly. Maximum of 10 students. Sorry to disappoint you Chicago guys. We hope to make it there later in the summer.
Thanks
Bruce
[email protected] (No private messages please)

Ooooops...class is now full. Sorry you missed it. Considering offering another class in July for those of you who couldn't make the April one.

Thinking about a different amp again. Of course, it will have our twists to it.
1) Fender? Which basic model?
2) Vox 15 watt
3) Marshall?

2) Chicago
3) North Carolina at Mojo.
Chicago and NC will cost more because of additional travel expenses for us.