AMP IS DEAD??? SOME IDEAS PLEASE!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
I went to turn my RM100 on and NO POWER!! I checked the fuse by the power cord input and it was blown. I replaced it and it did the same thing. It just instantly blows the power fuse before the amp even lights up. I checked all the internal fuses and they are all good. The Power fuse just continues to blow out when powering on. Any ideas????

Nothing strange at all. I was playing it, turned it off and put in a different module then it wouldn't turn on.

Remove the module you put in last, put in a new fuse, do NOT put the module back in, and turn the amp on. If the the fuse does NOT blow, the problem is in the module, maybe a mis-alignment that is shorting one of the contacts, or,
a problem on the module board, a shorted heater in one of the tubes, etc.

I assume you tried again with the first module back in?

I've heard some stuff about power switches being broken, but that shouldn't cause the fuse to blow...
You could check the powertubes circuitboard for any burnmarks..

EDIT: kc2eeb had the same idea ;)

I've actually taken all the modules out and replaced the fuse and the same thing happens. The amp doesn't even power on for one second. It just acts like it's not even plugged in at all but the the fuse burns out instantly.

Unplug the amp. Take the modules and ALL the tubes out. Power switch off, Standby switch on standby. Replace the fuse. Plug the amp in.
Turn the power switch to on. If the fuse blows, ( the on led indicator will go off) you have a dead short somewhere in the amp. If it does NOT blow,
turn the standby switch to play. If it blows now, something is shorted in the HV supply line. If the fuse still doesn't blow, one of the tubes is shorted.

A friend had a similar issue on his Marshall head and it was due to a bad power tube & bad cable to cab. Check to make sure those are alright.

kc2eeb said:
Unplug the amp. Take the modules and ALL the tubes out. Power switch off, Standby switch on standby. Replace the fuse. Plug the amp in.
Turn the power switch to on. If the fuse blows, ( the on led indicator will go off) you have a dead short somewhere in the amp. If it does NOT blow,
turn the standby switch to play. If it blows now, something is shorted in the HV supply line. If the fuse still doesn't blow, one of the tubes is shorted.

I took all the tubes out of the amp and turned it on like you said and it blew the fuse. So now is it straight to an amp repairman???

I'm going to take the amp in tomorrow. The bad news is I started playing my Line6 Vetta again and may like it better all over again. I got the new EXTREME LIVE DVD last night and basically nailed Nuno's tone with it in 5 minutes of tweaking.

Looks like I will be without an amp for 2 months. There is one guy in town to work on them and he is a month and a half behind. So now I have to send it to Randall who now has a new computer system going up and can't even authorize a repair return for a week and a half. Boy do I wish I has some skills in this department. 2 months of no amp for this nonsense.

Schlag? No amp? You said you're playing your Vetta again and that is a real amp. Good sounding amp by the way too.

It's not just Randall amps. Let me tell you. My Marshall amp was in the shop for 2 months before I got it back. Being it was under warranty my options were limited. Then when I got it back it only worked for three weeks. I picked up a 5150 II in the meantime for a backup. I didn't know about GSP1101s since no one has them in stock otherwise I might have grabbed one of them -- not even Guitar Center stores. We only knows what we sees.

My advice to people is to have a backup amp of some sort. If you need a certain sound grab a GSP1101 and a basic power amp of some sort (Carvin, Atomic) as your backup rig. At least if you're gigging regularly you have something on which to fall back.

The Vetta sounds good but I'm just used to the Randall now. Plus, it's just the annoyance of having a dead amp with 7 expensive modules sitting around not working. I've got a Vetta, PODXT LIVE, POD PRO, and ADA MP1s and I plugged them all in the other night and wasn't happy.