Angel or S1S0 ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katash

Reaction score
Mhhhh I'm longing for a 2nd high gain choice next to my Mamba but can't decide....needed for metalcore/electrocore :D

So far I'm considering the Angel and the S1S0....
Do any clips of the S1S0 exist besides the one on Anthonys page?

Feel free to share your thoughts on the two modules and especially on the S1S0!

PS: Up to now I used a e530 preamp for our recordings which is why I'm leaning more toward the Angel but the mid sweep is a + on versatility and tweakability for the S1S0

I've been mulling over this as well, they both sound awesome, but quite different.

I think the sad truth will eventually be "both of them".

That's a TOUGH choice. I'd say the heavier of the two is the Angel, but both could do heavy quite well. It's ultimately a personal choice. I love both and agree, eventually it will be both of them. :D

The S1SO actually fits teh vibe of what you are specifically looking for better..alot of those bands use teh 6505 type amps...the Angel is more articuate,clearer sounding...but both are cool and would work...just depends on your taste really......

I know the 5150 is like THE amp used in a lot of metal(core) bands..... but I really dig the Engl sound.....

Really looks like I just have to get both : )

Hello bro, are you missing that Scorch yet?
Of the two modules you're looking at I think the S1S0 has more in common with the Mamba than the Angel does. If you're looking for something different than the Mamba, but heavy and tight enough for the music you're doing I would suggest the Angel. I don't think you'll regret it.

Easy....Angel....S1S0 is awesome but I personally think the Angel is the better compliment to the Mamba....If you were already an ENGL player and liked that tone...Angel....Perhaps a mid sweep can be added? I know that's already a very busy module with much going on in the inside...But maybe you could have some of the options you won't use often simply hardwired in to make room for that sweep? Just a thought...

I had both for awhile and played lots of module war
<Monologue Alert>

Angel: tight, clear, & articulate. A better "quality" clear tone. It does not have the most powerful low end- but that comes with the territory of being super tight. The Balls feature improves this area, but I oddly used it more often without...when recording, typically super low end is reduced, and this mod sounds great in a mix as is.

The Powerful Low end in the Mamba is one of a kind, so understand the Angel is not on this level in this department. It does give you crystal clear lead tones with shimmering sweep arpeggios that are beautiful- especially with the mid edge engaged.

There are some similarities in the S1S0 and the Mamba. The S1S0 is not a pure quality tone mod. It has a bit of smear to it (which i like); strong low end. The sweep when set higher can get real close to a west coast friendlier-metal Salvado SLO tone- it gets more articulate and close to Angel tight. Set to the prescribed mark you get 5150 mids & power. Depending on the guitar, song style, and whatnot, I'm always flipping around the I II Fire and sweep.

The Mamba sounds like mega Recto, the S1S0 a mega Marshall. The Angel has the mid cut/boost that can kind of hint at either. The Angel cut is a cool tone, but for that sound I choose Mamba every time. The Angel mid boost can sound like a meaner more gained up and articulate SLO.

Angel likes awesome technique, speed picking, detuning, and music a bit meaner than SLO

The S1S0 is bit more forgiving for my inconsistant technique-besides sloppyness, i tend to play really hard- my tech said i play like King Kong, lol; this makes the S1S0 perfect for smoothing out my pick attack (softer/normal speed pickers may enjoy the Angel). S1S0 is my go to Lead module for any guitar/any tuning, gets used on spots where I previously used my Marshall 800 tones, has an excellent dirty crunch tone.

I just sold off my Angel (my 2nd Angel) and kept the S1S0. I know a few others around here-one rhymes with CatRig-who dumped the S1S0 almost immediatley....YMMV

crankyrayhanky said:
I had both for awhile and played lots of module war
<Monologue Alert>

Angel: tight, clear, & articulate. A better "quality" clear tone. It does not have the most powerful low end- but that comes with the territory of being super tight. The Balls feature improves this area, but I oddly used it more often without...when recording, typically super low end is reduced, and this mod sounds great in a mix as is.

The Powerful Low end in the Mamba is one of a kind, so understand the Angel is not on this level in this department. It does give you crystal clear lead tones with shimmering sweep arpeggios that are beautiful- especially with the mid edge engaged.

There are some similarities in the S1S0 and the Mamba. The S1S0 is not a pure quality tone mod. It has a bit of smear to it (which i like); strong low end. The sweep when set higher can get real close to a west coast friendlier-metal Salvado SLO tone- it gets more articulate and close to Angel tight. Set to the prescribed mark you get 5150 mids & power. Depending on the guitar, song style, and whatnot, I'm always flipping around the I II Fire and sweep.

The Mamba sounds like mega Recto, the S1S0 a mega Marshall. The Angel has the mid cut/boost that can kind of hint at either. The Angel cut is a cool tone, but for that sound I choose Mamba every time. The Angel mid boost can sound like a meaner more gained up and articulate SLO.

Angel likes awesome technique, speed picking, detuning, and music a bit meaner than SLO

The S1S0 is bit more forgiving for my inconsistant technique-besides sloppyness, i tend to play really hard- my tech said i play like King Kong, lol; this makes the S1S0 perfect for smoothing out my pick attack (softer/normal speed pickers may enjoy the Angel). S1S0 is my go to Lead module for any guitar/any tuning, gets used on spots where I previously used my Marshall 800 tones, has an excellent dirty crunch tone.

I just sold off my Angel (my 2nd Angel) and kept the S1S0. I know a few others around here-one rhymes with CatRig-who dumped the S1S0 almost immediatley....YMMV

Well, I guess it could've been FatPig... :lol:

Yep, got one of the very first S1S0s and requested mid sweep...I'm pretty sure it was not a standard feature at that time...

Anyway, I flipped it so fast that I ended up getting another a few months later (just to be sure) only to flip again....GREAT tone, but I just could hit it with other mods...Since you've been using the e530 - the Angel will keep "your" tone...I've also had two Angels though :) So take my opinion with a pound of salt...

In complimenting the Mamba, I still think Angel...Especially because you can squeeze a Slo to Marshall tone out of it in lower gain settings...Or hit the high gain and be in ENGL heaven...

Mattfig said:
....Perhaps a mid sweep can be added? I know that's already a very busy module with much going on in the inside...But maybe you could have some of the options you won't use often simply hardwired in to make room for that sweep? Just a thought...

Exactly what I was thinking of yesterday..... :twisted:

So far, thanks to both of you for the insights! The decision is still not an easy one....

I'll keep you posted which way I go....

@cold Machine: I'm wondering a little bit what the scorch would sound like in my present setup :wink:

Have been looking at the S150 as well, used to own a 6505 and always loved the tone, my wish list is getting longer by the minute!

small detail from AmpExpo:
during tuning of signature Wolf Hoffman?s module he tried S1S0 too and dialed same sound as on his original EVH III head.