Anybody ever compared the JF Voxless to the stock JTM?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I'm currently pretty well set for high-gain modules in my RM100--I have an SL+, a Grail, and an XTC. Now I want to get some more happening in the low-to-medium gain department. I have a JTM and a Tweed, both of which I was considering getting modded into something else, but after spending a little more time on the JTM I don't know if I can bear to lose it. I'd really like to get some Vox flavor happening, so I'm thinking about sending the Tweed off to Jaded Faith for a Voxless conversion. The JTM also sort of has a chimey breakup thing going on, so I'm curious about how the Vox flavor differs. Has anybody ever had these two side-by-side? I really do like the JTM set either clean or dirty, so I'd be interested to hear about both of these sides of the Voxless.

While I haven't had a JTM in some time...The Voxless will do almost anything....I **** you not....I'm getting some clips together today and tomorrow to show it off...I don't use it for anything but clean and gritty/jangly...It can do a lot-- VERY well....Rob's best creation to date...

I have owned a modded tweed. It being close to the JTM I can
compare that to the Voxless. I believe the Voxless can pull off
the same tones as the JTM. No Problem! As FigNewton had
stated the Voxless is just so much more versatale. You can just
dial in so much more mids, jangle, gain, etc.....
I do believe there are many stockers that everyone can just
"live with". These modules are adictive and modded ones just
feed the machine even further. :)

Long time since I owned a JTM but I don't remember it sounding/feeling the same as the Voxless I just grabbed from BigBrewtus....in any of the modes.

Could play the JTM for days..so easy to play and pretty good sounding, AC/DC tones a breeze...it definately had more of what I think is a Marshall midrange compared to the Voxless.

I'm still struggling what to do with the Voxless though..I keep turning knobs and not really got it figured/dialed yet...especially in AC30 mode :)

Yeah, they are pretty different. I didn't wind up liking the crystal clean tones from the Voxless as much as I thought I would. With just a bit of breakup, though, it really starts to shine for me. I leave the bright on all the time, with the treble up at about 3:30. The AC30 sound is cool sometimes, but I think the more versatile sound is the DC30 with the mid position all the way to the left, or maybe one notch over from that. I also like turning the mids to the middle position, turning on the boost, and then cranking the gain to about 2:00.

I'll be keeping my JTM. It does too many things that the Voxless doesn't do--nice cleans for one (I have a 12AT7 in V2 of my JTM). The Voxless does sound nicer in a lot of ways, but it's different.

True...The JTM has a richness that the Voxless does not have...Not a design fault, simply a different design...Comparing Marshalls to Vox or Matchless is kinda kooky...I just meant the Voxless is more versatile and can give you a nice clean and with extrenal EQ can sound similar to JTM...Otherwise, it's a module very true to form...Two different things....

I have a Marshall JTM45 that is sitting here right now and it's got a very deep tone...Not flubby but deep....Having said that, when directly A/B'ing it with Sacred Groove's MK22 is VERY close but has more balls...And Mashall Plus is dead balls on...Again, with external EQ...

There really are very few similarities between a Vox/Matchless and a JTM. "Chime" may be a common adjective used to describe all three, but there are very few circuit similarities. It's really apples and oranges to compare the two.

For the high gain guy who has one Fender-style clean and 26 "similar but different" high gain modules, the Voxless may be tough to wrap his head around. For players that really appreciate all the great tones that live "in between" and want something different from the standard "Marshall/Fender" thing it is a truly fresh-yet-familiar tone.

It's should be noted that the design intent was middle of the road gain without a huge tilt towards clean or dirty. If you haven't tried it, run a Strat or split coils on a humbucker through the Voxless. It's a really special experience and one of my favorite tones out there. A bridge humbucker with volume and tone on 10 won't really show you all it has to offer.

Yeah, singles and lower output neck buckers seem to be where the Vox and Matchless amps shine in general imo. All the gain can be controlled with your attack then, which can be a lovely rewarding experience.

sepherus said:
Yeah, singles and lower output neck buckers seem to be where the Vox and Matchless amps shine in general imo. All the gain can be controlled with your attack then, which can be a lovely rewarding experience.
Exactly right and I couldn't have said it better. The real amps are the same way.

One of my guitars is a Peavey Odyssey, which is a Gibson-scale, carved-top solidbody with an ebony fingerboard. I have a pair of DiMarzios in it right now; one is a PAF Joe, I think, and I can't remember what the other one is. Anyway, the neck humbucker on that guitar really slays through the Voxless set for mild breakup. That's probably my favorite sound I've gotten with the module so far.

Whoopysnorp said:
One of my guitars is a Peavey Odyssey, which is a Gibson-scale, carved-top solidbody with an ebony fingerboard. I have a pair of DiMarzios in it right now; one is a PAF Joe, I think, and I can't remember what the other one is. Anyway, the neck humbucker on that guitar really slays through the Voxless set for mild breakup. That's probably my favorite sound I've gotten with the module so far.
Bet it's a Humbucker from He'll! :wink:

Mattfig said:
I love the Voxless with my Waterstone Carnaby and Lollar P90s...Tone to die for....

I had an LP with Lollar P90...epic for low/medium gain....had a V with a P90 style in the neck too...sounded wonderfully flutey and chimey.

Sold all that now though :-(

Jaded Faith said:
There really are very few similarities between a Vox/Matchless and a JTM. "Chime" may be a common adjective used to describe all three, but there are very few circuit similarities. It's really apples and oranges to compare the two.

For the high gain guy who has one Fender-style clean and 26 "similar but different" high gain modules, the Voxless may be tough to wrap his head around. For players that really appreciate all the great tones that live "in between" and want something different from the standard "Marshall/Fender" thing it is a truly fresh-yet-familiar tone.

It's should be noted that the design intent was middle of the road gain without a huge tilt towards clean or dirty. If you haven't tried it, run a Strat or split coils on a humbucker through the Voxless. It's a really special experience and one of my favorite tones out there. A bridge humbucker with volume and tone on 10 won't really show you all it has to offer.

Hey... I resemble these remarks :)

To be honest, I think the SuperV caters for my needs as well as any other module I've tried so far....I do wish I had my guitars with P90s still around, it's certainly very pleasing to the ear with the Voxy stuff!

Mattfig said:
A good P90 and a Voxless can kill hours before you know it....Just lost in amazing tone....It's happened to me a few times now....

gimme my wah pedal and I'm there all day :)