Anyone use the RM100 to test power tubes?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
How reliable would you say it is? One of my 2204's just lost volume. Still sounds really good but there was a significant loss of volume. I pulled the tubes and stuck them in my lynchbox and hit the standby and they didn't come up as "bad". I didn't however listen to them as I had them going into the hotplate load. Would a tube that is losing volume still test "ok"? Might try a fresh set in the amp tomorrow. I'm hoping that is the issue because there doesn't seem to be any burned filter caps (they are only 1-2 years old) or resistors. I'm guessing maybe solder joint? But I don't understand that one either considering it was working fine up to the vol drop.

I really wouldn't consider the RM100 a "tester". All the LED's do is indicate a blown fuse, which requires a total failure. Tubes that are in decline won't trigger anything at all but can still have the symptoms you describe. You are also risking the health of your amp. The repairs it could cause you to require can easily meet the price of a low-grade consumer tester like the Orange.

That's what I thought, thanks for the info.... I'm also using these RI Mullards and I had heard that they were hit/miss on longevity and I'm wondering if this is the case too. They aren't that old really. I have older still going strong.

Latest posts