awesome boost pedal alert

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Like a lot of you guys, I've had several boost pedals and tried the usual suspects - Tube Screamers, Super Overdrives, Fulltone stuff, Keeley mods, Monte mods, the indyguitarist guy mods, etc.

Heck, I even used a legendary tones time machine boost and a george lynch boost for awhile. :)

Came across something that I had to share though - it's called a tri-boost pedal. www.buildyourownclone.com sells kits. For around $100 shipped (and you build it yourself) you can have a really awesome boost pedal. It has three modes:

mode 1 - clean booster.
mode 2 - mosfet booster
mode 3 - germanium booster with a switch that makes it a treble booster, mid booster or full range.

Nifty part is, when you switch modes, the LED changes color - green for clean, blue for mosfet, red for germanium. Only other control other than the germanium switch is a volume control. That's it. Full bypass too, and can use a boss 9v adapter.

None of the modes generate much dirt on their own. What they do is slam the heck out of the front end of a tube amp, and better IMHO than the stuff I listed above, except for possibly the legendary tones stuff, which is a lot more expensive. From my memory though I dig this pedal more than the time machine or lynch boost, but I could be wrong. They are awful close though.

I built a stock triboost and it just screams with our amps. Yeah, it can add noise, but nothing is totally free - add gain, get more noise, it's the way of the world. But the tone is killer. I had more gain and saturation with the boost pedal in front and the gain on 25% than I did with gain full up and no boost on my recto module. Plus it was tighter.

I may build a few of these here and there and sell 'em (with some mods I already figured would improve the tone of these a bit, and maybe crazy paint jobs) but they are a great deal even if you build the kit yourself.

Just thought I'd share. Look in the fx part of the board for pics of mine - I did some swirly stuff on a few pedals :)

Pete

Kinda cool. I always found that self built stomp boxes always sound better if the parts are decent and they are done right. I've modified enough pedals for people to know that QC isn't always the best on stock models. I was thinking of doing that multi color LED trick to a few things I've been working on.