Best clean/dirty module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caustic

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to Synergy modules. I have the Engl Savage and Bogner Uberschall modules and they are great! Particularly the Uberschall is amazing! Crushing tones
However, I can't really get a very usable clean tone from the "clean" or less gainy channel. I am wondering if any of the other high gain modules like the Fryette, IICP, Diezel, powerball or ecstasy have a clean as well as the high gain? or even the Friedman stuff, or the plexi?

I only have a Syn1 for hardware.....Appreciate the info/help!

The BE/BB module is supposed to have a good clean. The Vai module A channel is from the Bassman and it gets pretty clean. The best clean IMO is the TDLX module.

The Ecstasy can do a good edge of breakup clean. The pre-eq and schizo switches of each channel will interact slightly with the other channel, some people have an issue with this, personally it doesn't bother me. You won't be using the red channel for a crushing metal tone so I think you'd be fine.

Thanks for the replies,
to clarify I do want the crushing metal tones....I just wondered if there is a module that also has a good or at least decent clean.

Thanks again

IICP has a beautiful clean , it can do metal with the right boost in front of .

ENGL Powerball, not a glassy fendery clean but nice plus one of the best high gains they have. Probably prefer that over the BB/BE but the clean on the BB is glorius. The BE is reasonably high gain Marshall thing.

The DS and the 800 Modules can get some nice 'edgy' cleans with low gain settings... single coils or volume turned down on a bucker will get you even cleaner, they're not gonna get as heavy as the others you listed, though.

The Deliverance can do that too and you may want to check that out, it can get pretty far into metal territory...

The Powerball is probably the one you want, though, if you are talking Uberschall levels of gain... although I personally do not think the clean is that amazing. It'll get a legit clean though. I prefer a lot of cleans over that one.

On the IICP, once you get the clean dialed in, it is hard to get the Red channel to optimal heavy settings. I do have a nice mix on mine but I tend to dial it for the chugs.

Once thing I love about the SYN30 is that it has a *great* clean channel built-in. So with that one you never have to worry about a true clean tone on the module.

Last edited:
Of all the modules I have owned I have to say the T-DLX is the best of the cleans utterly vibrant glass thick Fender to the bone also nice edge of breakup stuff. ENGL or Uberschall for the high gain. I am never satistfied with high gain for long. I do like the switching option choices on the ENGL Powerball and Uberschall.

I don’t know why nobody is answering th question directly…

The Friedman BE/BB is THE module for a dedicated PURE clean and Marshall dirty module. The clean is CLEAN and the dirty will go from Hendrix to NWOBHM and 80s thrash with ease. VH tones are in there too, around 3 o clock on the gain. Highly versatile module…START HERE!!

I think the IIC+ is another one with a pure clean, but you will sacrifice the level of gain on your od channel if you go 100% clean on ch1, since the two channels work in tandem with each other.

BEBB, IICP, Ecstasy, Pittbull, Powerball, DS and as of late BE DLX. BMAN for vintage tones. Deliverance also but the clean is very light on low end and my least favorite.

I am getting another Vai module as I miss the clean channel and the gain is rather unique, absolutely killer for leads. Wish I had not sold it off. Other fav is either the BE DLX or the T DLX. I also have the 6550 and a ENGL Powerball for my current 4 module dock rig. That BE DLX on HBE toggle is certainly one of the best Marshall mod brown sound and beyond.