Best Speaker Cabinet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal archer

Reaction score
Hey everyone ! I will be looking into purchasing a new cabinet for my RM100 soon and would like some input. I currently have a Marshall 1960b cabinet with 75 watt celestions. It's ok but I have been told the 75 watt celestions are not as good as vintage 30's and 25 watt greenbacks. It is mostly for hard rock & metal. I want lots of clear bass, smooth mids and top end. How are the Randall cabinets for the MTS ? I would like everyones opinion on :
Speaker Type
Brand
Model
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe,the v30's are exactly what i upgraded to from my original Marshall JCM800 1960A cab,which had the stock g12t's.the vintage 30's fit the description,you mentioned,to the letter...once i got my std-sized Mesa cab,loaded w/v30's,i've NEVER looked back!!! ...tight,clear bass/smooth mids/sweet,singing top end...absolutely love this cab & speaker!

+1 on the V30. They are great for what clear mids, without getting too grainny, nice bottom end, tight.
I used to run various Marshall 4X12s, including 1960 RI, JCM 800. The V30s blows away the GT75s, no problem. Just more character, more evrything.
T.

You might find it far less expensive to swap out the speakers in your Marshall cab than to buy a new cab... just depends on how much you care about keeping the Marshall as-is.

In the MTS world, I've used the following speaker setups:
- Randall 1x12 w/ Greenback
- Randall 1x12 w/ Classic Lead 80

So far, my favorite combination has been the G12H-30's with the V30's... the V30's have upper mids which combine nicely with the H30's lower mids, creating a warm fat tone. I'm also really getting into the Classic Lead 80... some folks say it's brittle, but I find it to be pretty well balanced (I do use it for a lot of clean work, though).

My least favorite speaker has been the G12T-75's (what's in your Marshall now)... too brittle for my tastes.

As far as cabs, obviously I'm a big fan of Avatar gear... very solid gear for the money, and Dave @ Avatar is extremely helpful in identifying speakers that will give you the tone you're looking for.

--B

4x12: Mesa Rectifier Standard, Bogner, or Orange

V30's all the way.

bduersch,
I checked out the Avatar site and the combo of vintage 30's with the g12h-30's sounds real cool. How is it that they cabs are only $439. Are they well made?

metal archer said:
another thing I always wondered....what is the best OHM rating to get ?

Generally, The lower the impedance the better.

It matters on what equipment you are using-- or what you want to end up with...

For instance, my Avatar cab is wired for 8 ohms-- this allows me to upgrade to a full stack (another 8 ohms speaker for a total of a 4ohm load) latter on down the road.

If you only want to have one 412 cab connected, then 4 ohms might be a better wiring for you.

avatar with g12t-100's , much better version of the 75, more bass thats stronger and deeper, good mids that aren't ear peircing, and clear highs

metal archer said:
bduersch,
I checked out the Avatar site and the combo of vintage 30's with the g12h-30's sounds real cool. How is it that they cabs are only $439. Are they well made?

I don't know how Avatar does it for the money, but they are quite well made and sound great. They must be getting a deal on the speakers to begin with, because their raw speaker prices are the best around. My only complaint is that the tolex used on the Avatar cabs dings easier than the tolex on some other cabs I've owned in the past, so I try to take my time when loading/unloading them for gigs. But I've had my 2x12's for several years now and have no other complaints.

(I've been planning to re-tolex my 2x12's soon, not because the tolex is in bad shape, but because I want them to match my RM50B Palomino combo--pretty sure I was able to find the same tolex and grille cloth through mojo)

--B

TheAbomb12 said:
metal archer said:
another thing I always wondered....what is the best OHM rating to get ?

Generally, The lower the impedance the better.

It matters on what equipment you are using-- or what you want to end up with...

For instance, my Avatar cab is wired for 8 ohms-- this allows me to upgrade to a full stack (another 8 ohms speaker for a total of a 4ohm load) latter on down the road.

If you only want to have one 412 cab connected, then 4 ohms might be a better wiring for you.

Would you or anybody care to elaborate? I'm always confused about the OHM thing.
For example, I'm running my RM100 into a 2X12 MTS cab. Now, on the cab you can choose either 8 or 16 ohms,so, what is the best way to run it?.

8 ohms would be better than 16, the higher the ohm the lower the volume, some would say that 16 ohm is your truest sound but i think the lower the ohm the better the sound. 8 is perfect, because if you run 2 cabs that'll kick the amp ohm down to four which is as low as you can go with a guitar amp, 4 is is the loudest. 4, 8 , 16 ohm set ups definatley vary in tone and volume. basically most would say the lower the better

tung said:
For example, I'm running my RM100 into a 2X12 MTS cab. Now, on the cab you can choose either 8 or 16 ohms,so, what is the best way to run it?.

Actually, as far as mono applications go, 8 ohm is your one and only choice with that cab.....unless you wish to run only one of the two speakers....then you could go 16 ohms.

I just ordered a Traynor YCX12WR 1 x 12, loaded with a 1x12 to run with my RM50 combo. I will let you know how it sounds when it arrives.

Chad said:
tung said:

Actually, as far as mono applications go, 8 ohm is your one and only choice with that cab.....unless you wish to run only one of the two speakers....then you could go 16 ohms.
Thanks, Chad. I've been running the wrong ohm at times :oops: