Best tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tung

Reaction score
While there's all this buzz of new MTS stuff coming out, what do you guys consider are the great tones/ your favorites out there?

Here are some of mine:
- Steve Lukather's current Custom Audio sounds
- Mike Landau's lead sounds
- Dann Huff's sound on his old group Giant
- Wes Montgomery and Ed Bickert for old school jazz tones
- Pat Metheny for modern "Roland Jazz Chorus" type sound
- Joe Bonamassa's tones on his "You &Me" CD
- Rafael Moreira's Bogner's lead sound, killer.
- George Lynch's current tones, of course.

+1 Great List

Nevermore-This Godless Endevour (or almost anything produced by Andy Sneap)
Opeth-Black Water Park/Deliverance/Ghost Reveries (Andy Sneap again)
Dream Theater-Lie
Meshuggah-New Millinium Cyanide Christ
Lamb of God-Ashes Of The Wake
King's X-pretty much anything Ty does

And the shocker....Boston!!!! Their first CD just blows me away. Yeah, it's kinda nasaly but it works. There is great definition and awesome sustain. The new Porcupine Tree has some awesome heavy tones as well.

Brad Gillis on the live Ozzy CD "Speak of the Devil"

Van Halen II (not as fizzy as VH I)

King's X - Dogman

Eric Johnson - (off the Austin City Limits live DVD)

okstrat said:

Van Halen II (not as fizzy as VH I)

King's X - Dogman

Eric Johnson - (off the Austin City Limits live DVD)
+1 on the Brad

Guthrie Govan- Erotic Cakes: 5's and 7's
+1 on Dan Huff
+1 on Joe Bonamassa ( Budda's and Jubilees..)
Randy Rhoads- Ozzy
Richie Blackmore- Deep Purple era ( Lazy, Burned, Highway Star..)
+ 1 on EJ
Vinnie Moore

Oh, one more- Jeff Watson, Night Ranger.

So many...

H

okstrat said:
Brad Gillis' tone and playing was happenning on that album. His whammy bar stuff never ceased to amaze, he's my favorite for whammy bar work. I think it was Boogies all the way back then for him, the Night Ranger days as well.

seeker said:
Guthrie Govan- Erotic Cakes: 5's and 7's
+1 on Dan Huff
+1 on Joe Bonamassa ( Budda's and Jubilees..)

H
Guthrie- Cornford all the way, nothing sounds like the midrange and sag of the Cornford, they breathe!
Dann Huff- I was fortunate enough to have seen Giant live, he had the exact same tone live. Old Marshalls and 5150 heads.
Bonamassa- the Budda sounds sweet, almost like a high gain Vox chime.

Cool thread! Heres some of my favs:

Andy Timmons "Resolution"
John Petrucci "Scenes From a Memory"
King's X "Dogman"
Van Halen "F.U.C.K."
Tool "Lateralus"
Queensryche "Empire"
Steve Vai "Alien Love Secrets"
Injected "Burn it Black"
GnR "Appetite for Destruction"
Chevelle "This Type Of Thinking"
Alice In Chains "Dirt"
A Perfect Circle "Mer de Noms"

tung said:
okstrat said:
Brad Gillis' tone and playing was happenning on that album. His whammy bar stuff never ceased to amaze, he's my favorite for whammy bar work. I think it was Boogies all the way back then for him, the Night Ranger days as well.

Brad's one of my favorites too... I have one of his signature guitars from the mid 80s. :)

bradgillisstrat3.jpg

okstrat said:
tung said:
okstrat said:

Brad's one of my favorites too... I have one of his signature guitars from the mid 80s. :)

bradgillisstrat3.jpg

OMG! The Fernades Brad Gillis. That's sweet, man! Thanks for the pic. It even has the original Floyd on it like Brad's? How's it play?
What I've always dug about Brad Gillis was he's really musical with the bar. Pat Thrall was another guy like that too.
T.

yep...definately add me to the Brad Gillis "Ozzy-Speak Of The Devil" tone list.i've absolutely been "in trance" with his guitar tone and whammy bar work ever since the release of that album AND the original MTV airing of the Speak of the Devil concert,in which the band plays all OZZY tunes,as opposed to the album,which was Black Sabbath material.i watched the original MTV airing back in 1982,i believe,at my cousin's house and was totally blown away by Brad Gillis.the incredible CRUNCH of the guitar tone was simply amazing.that concert,imo,was the EVILEST tone that OZZY ever had...period.nothing compares to it.i still have & watch that MTV concert show,which i have taped on VHS format,and i never,ever get tired of it!!! ...way ahead of it's time,man! it's definately a rare video!!! my other fav guitarist pick goes to the late Criss Oliva/Savatage...another mesmerizing experience LIVE!!! loved that guy's playing...

+1 on Trouble - Psalm 9...another classic,crusher guitar tone,yet so brutally underated.these guys had Metallica's James & Kirk spinning their wheels trying to figure out the "secret" to that doomy,chuggy soulful tone..i've been catching Trouble's live shows since '83...great pick,MetalMajik!!!

goldwing68nv said:
yep...definately add me to the Brad Gillis "Ozzy-Speak Of The Devil" tone list.i've absolutely been "in trance" with his guitar tone and whammy bar work ever since the release of that album AND the original MTV airing of the Speak of the Devil concert,in which the band plays all OZZY tunes,as opposed to the album,which was Black Sabbath material.i watched the original MTV airing back in 1982,i believe,at my cousin's house and was totally blown away by Brad Gillis.the incredible CRUNCH of the guitar tone was simply amazing.that concert,imo,was the EVILEST tone that OZZY ever had...period.nothing compares to it.i still have & watch that MTV concert show,which i have taped on VHS format,and i never,ever get tired of it!!! ...

You should transfer that to DVD and store it forever, that is a rare gem. I didn't know they did Ozzy tunes on that tour. Brad was on fire during that tour, I think he was definitely out to prove himself.
T.

well i might as well get my two cents in here (although my tone tastes are probably a little differen then most people's on here)

james black/rick jackett specifically on finger eleven's self titled album (especially the song absent elements)
jesse michaels on this is unity music by common rider
stevie ray vaughan
ian d'sa
brian setzer
tom morello
darren malakian specifically on system of a down's hypnotyze/mesmorize album(s)
adam jones on tool's 10,000 days album

so it's a safe bet that most people on this forum haven't actually heard of some of those guitarists, and if that is the case, i definately suggest looking them up, because they are all very unique, and they're tones are wonderous

You should transfer that to DVD and store it forever, that is a rare gem. I didn't know they did Ozzy tunes on that tour. Brad was on fire during that tour, I think he was definitely out to prove himself.
T.[/quote]

hey "T",yeah i've thought about transferring the OZZY - SPEAK OF THE DEVIL "MTV" concert onto dvd a million times.I just never get around to it.i do have another copy of it on vhs,though. about 6-7 years ago,while i was watching the video,one day,the thought of the vhs tape being lost OR damaged/destroyed scared me enough to get it over to a friend's house,who has two vcr's,and make a copy of it.i cant believe i've had this vhs tape for 24 years now.it's really a pretty f**kin killer show.Brad really was "on fire",as was the whole band(Ozzy,Rudy Sarzo,Tommy Aldridge,Don Airey...and that cute little robed,satanic muchkin who came out on stage,periodically,to serve Ozzy with water,towels,etc... LOL! ...hey,"little" people need love too,**** it).i remember when i first saw the show,originally aired on the MTV "Saturday Nite Concert" series,it blew me away,since it was a great pro shot recording and the "twist" was that they played all OZZY tunes,unlike the album,during this particular night of the tour(i'm pretty sure that i remember reading that THIS show was show filmed at the L.A. Coliseum).definately an awesome piece of history on tape!.........on a separate note,that Fernandes is an awesome guitar,Pete/okstrat!!!

Trouble's first album paved the way for alot of metal bands,back in the day,and influenced guitarists all over the world! ...their second album,The Skull,was a "classic",as well! it's too bad that they never got the recognition that they deserved...

okstrat... first off bro that is one hell of a guitar... a Fernandes Brad Gillis sig... beautiful... love it!

I agree with everything so far and am happy to see Brad get some props for his tone and playing on Speak of the Devil... he covers Sabbath real well.

I'd like to add... early Michael Schenker... Lights out... Ulcer type tones and Matthias Jabs and Rudy Schneker... speciffically the No One Like You tones... cleans, crunch rythms and Matt's killer lead tone.

Khing

khingpynn said:
I'd like to add... early Michael Schenker... Lights out... Ulcer type tones and Matthias Jabs and Rudy Schneker... speciffically the No One Like You tones... cleans, crunch rythms and Matt's killer lead tone.

Khing

I saw Scorpions when I was 16, and some girls took off their shirts and flashed the band, and I thought "Yeah man, rock n roll :wink: "