Best tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+ 1 on Michael Schenker- UFO ,( Live) Into the Night, great tone. As TommyT pointed out in another post, Gibson flying V straight into a Marshall stack, sounded great.

Reb Beach
- forget the Winger stint, he sounded great touring with David Coverdale/ White Snake
Doug Aldrich

H

tung said:
okstrat said:
tung said:
okstrat said:
Brad Gillis on the live Ozzy CD "Speak of the Devil"

Brad's one of my favorites too... I have one of his signature guitars from the mid 80s. :)

bradgillisstrat3.jpg

OMG! The Fernades Brad Gillis. That's sweet, man! Thanks for the pic. It even has the original Floyd on it like Brad's? How's it play?
What I've always dug about Brad Gillis was he's really musical with the bar. Pat Thrall was another guy like that too.
T.

The guitar came stock with a non locking trem - I hated the **** thing, so I found an original floyd without fine tuners and put it on there. Guitar plays really well, but has a fairly thick neck that is painted on the back (like Brad's) - it's pretty thick, reminds me a lot of my Eric Johnson sig strat. I bought the guitar from a guy who techs for Brad sometimes, and even have some pictures somewhere of brad playing it. And the back plate was signed by Brad too. he rocks!

Pete

i find it hard to believe that on a randall forum nobody said dimebag darrel abbott. his heavy metal guitar tone is probably the meanest mosted gained out raw in your face kick *** **** of all time. easily one of the most sought after signature tones yet hard to get, and his soling and control over his instrument was incredible. a true innovater and pioneer of modern heavy metal. re-spect!

Yes, the tone Brad had on that live show was good!!

Ty Taylor always has great tones

Jeff Beck on "Guitar Shop" never gets old!!

Eric Johnson Live!! I've seen him 3 times....... always so smooth!

The early EVH stuff, I can hear the intro riff to "Mean Street" as I type this!

Gorge Lynch's tone on "Wicked Sensation" and Dokken's Back for the attack

I know there is more................

Imho, great tone is all in the ear of the beholder. Some people like warm and fat, some people like bright and thin. Some people like a little distortion, some people like gobs of distortion. I think a better idea is focusing on who has original tone rather than who has "good" tone. The fact of the matter is "good" tone is pretty much agreeable on by everyone, and that would be a full frequency response with the right amount of warmth and clarity. I was on a hunt for the perfect tone when I started recording, and when I finally got the sound I was looking for, I realized that I sounded like 90% of people, at which point I decided, hey, I never wanted to sound like everyone, and tried to achieve the "perfect tone" I had in my head when I first started playing guitar, which would be something along the lines of Guttermouth's tone: killer bees in a tin can, or, all the tone of a raging gerbil 8) . Now I love my tone and can make most guitarists cover their ears in anguish :D .

These tones, specifically, come to mind.

Lynch Mob--"Sweet Sister Mercy", "When Darkness Calls", "The Secret."
Saigon Kick--Devil in the Details, Water
Van Halen--VHII, Fair Warning, Women and Children First
Dream Theater--Awake, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Robin Trower--Bridge of Sighs
Kenny Wayne Shepherd--Trouble is...
Killswitch Engage--The End of Heartache

George Lynch-Back for the Attack, my fav Lynch
and Wicked Sensaton, whole album is cool 2nd best Lynch IMHO
Van Halen-VHII
Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach on the Whitesnake live DVD
Jake E. Lee- Bark at the Moon, Badlands and Voodoo Highway
John Sykes-Whitesnake (1987) and Blue Murder (1st one)

randalls4ever said:
George Lynch-Back for the Attack, my fav Lynch
and Wicked Sensaton, whole album is cool 2nd best Lynch IMHO
Van Halen-VHII
Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach on the Whitesnake live DVD
Jake E. Lee- Bark at the Moon, Badlands and Voodoo Highway
John Sykes-Whitesnake (1987) and Blue Murder (1st one)

Dude you know your tone!

Lynch & Jake E Lee always had great studio tone but I was a little disapointed with there live sound

I wasn't a big Whitesnake fan until I seem the Live DVD with Beach/Aldrich...totally Awesome!

Thanks, always loved both Jake and George in studio sounds. Live they were both not quite as good. Better than many, but not as good as their own studio sounds. I love the sound off of the Whitesnake DVD, especially the guitars. Always thought Aldrich would be thought of as cool someday when I first heard him the early 90's. Always thought Reb was way underrated. My favorite tone from Reb with Winger was off of the Pull album.

Can't believe I didn't put this up earlier, Nuno, the first Extreme, his best tone as far as I am concerned.

Eric Johnson on anything, live and studio needs to be in this thread....the guy spends 8 years tweaking his sounds between albums! So silky, so smooth...

Ironically, my style is nothing like his, but I become a hypnotized ape in a Bugs Bunny cartoon when EJ starts playing

Gus G FTW! Anybody heard him? He;s in various bands (Firewind, Nightrage, Dreamevil) but his solo sound is awesome and guess what amp he uses......yep, its a Randall! THe guy is a legend. Thinks he only abouy 26.

HEAVY

Metallica - Black album

Godsmack - Awake

Fuel - Down

Creed - Human Clay

Limp Bizkit - Significant Other

Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, Balance

Linkin Park - Given Up, Papercut

CLEAN

BB KING's clean sound

Metallica - Black Album

Taproot - Poem

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit Intro, In the End

ACOUSTIC

Eric Clapton Unplugged

Tantric

IN BETWEEN

Ry Cooder - Crossroads Movie

Queen - We will rock you

AC/DC - Back in Black etc.

Led Zepplin - Kashmir

Aerosmith - Jaded

Black Snake Moan Soundtrack

Robben Ford on just about anything
Wes Montgomery - the original smooth jazz!
David Gilmour on Dark Side
Pete Anderson on any Dwight record
Steve Miller - the quintessential "strat between the bridge and middle" tone
Jimmy Olander - twangy, but BIG!
Terry Kath - just plain BIG!

Tim Sult - CLUTCH !!!!
adam Jones UNDERTOW TOOL sound
James Hetfield - Master of Puppets, and the LOADS had great tone
Neil Young for that grungy dirty stuff!!

In no oder:
David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Dickey Betts - Allman Brothers
SVR
Jimmy Hendrix
Angus Young
BB King
Eric Clapton
Neil Young
Steven Stills
Elvis