Bias going out of whack on a couple of RM Amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmic10

Reaction score
I was wondering if these amps are prone to bias supply
It happened with my RM1250 and RM50 combo; I bought matched tubes from a reliable supplier, do any other folks have the same issue?
Thanks
Howard

Your bias supply from the secondary should be absolutely fine and there is very little history of any significant failure modes in this circuit of the MTS amps. It could be prone to drift if the pot was damaged or possibly made contact with the insulating bushing on the chassis AND the amp was being excessively vibrated by a speaker. Keep in mind most amps have their bias adjust mounted internally using a wheel type pot and there is no real potential for accidental adjustment.

That said, current production tubes are notoriously hit or miss. My money is on poor tubes. You are likely only aware of it because it's so easy to monitor on your MTS amps. For the record, I work on plenty of amps that sound and feel fantastic where the tubes aren't matched closer than 4-5mA apart or the crossover notch looks bad on a scope. Don't be afraid of it and use your ears in addition to your meter. They are your best tool.

Rob

Rod said:
I had that issue but it ended up being tube issues not the amp. Tube Depot has a good matching system.. Tube Store does not.

I've had a lot more luck with Tube Depot as well....The Tube $tore doesn't seem to give a compare in regard to service, shipping, and stock....

Mattfig said:
Rod said:
I had that issue but it ended up being tube issues not the amp. Tube Depot has a good matching system.. Tube Store does not.

I've had a lot more luck with Tube Depot as well....The Tube $tore doesn't seem to give a compare in regard to service, shipping, and stock....

I've had plenty of luck with the service at thetubestore but their matching sucks, many pairs way off...but when stuff arrived like that or broken or early life failure they've always been responsive to service.

Much better luck at Tube Depot on matching.