Brown vs. SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detroit ABA

Reaction score
I am a new RM 100 owner and I have a brown module and I am thinkng of getting the SL+. Is it different enough to justify putting it along side the brown?

Thanks

I have a Plexi and a Brown module. The Plexi has more clarity and a bit more oomph.
As far as i understand the SL+ is hotrodded and would have a lot more gain and clarity as well as upper mids.

Although . . . I would rather mod the brown into a Mash-all+ and get all the Marshall action:)

SL+ has more gain
Brown is warmer and a bit thicker, also hard to find (discontinued a few years ago)

Different enough to enjoy having 2 in an amp

I've had the Brown, SL+, and Plexi. The Brown was good, but the other two cover a wider range of Marshall tones for me.

Detroit ABA said:
I am a new RM 100 owner and I have a brown module and I am thinkng of getting the SL+. Is it different enough to justify putting it along side the brown?

Thanks

I have a Brown coming, should be here next week. As soon as I have it I will do a head to head comparison to the SL+ (blackplate/JCM800 version). I'll likely compare it to the Brahma, GTO, & Scary as well.

Until then my guess will be:
SL+ = more gain and more upper mids.
Brown = less gain (probably on par with the Plexi & Brahma maybe closer to the GTO) and more girth (bass & low mids).

Thanks for the replies. I read the posts in comparing the SL+ and the Mr. Scary and that information was also helpful. It sounds like most people prefer the Mr. Scary for the hotrodded marshall sound vs. the SL+