Can a RM4 replace a Mesa Boogie studio pre and ADA MP1 3TM?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
All is in the title I guess :D

I own both these preamps:

Mesa studio pre: Amazing clean, great full blues/classic rock rhytm and lead
ADA MP1 3TM (stock Ada with an added 3rd tube for gain): Amazing hot rodded Marshall tone.

I am toying with the idea of replacing those with a RM4. With four modules, I could roughly 3 sounds mentioned above (Clean, Top Boost, SL+) + a modern metal sound (with the modern or ultra module).

It is all pretty tempting: More sounds in less space. However, I wonder if the RM4 will match if not top my current preamps. Ideally, I would need advice from people who have been able to compare both. The sounds I like best in mu current rack is the Mesa pristine clean and the 3TM hot rodded marshall overdrive. Should the RM4 be as good in those domain, I would definitely get one.

Has anybody here been able to compare them?

I owned and used the ADA for years. I now use Egnater, but have some Randall modules also. Every one of them blows the ADA away. What you would notice first is the demension and clarity of the Randall/Egnater.

I've had a few different mp1's over the years, both stock and modified. I can say without a doubt that the M4 will do everything it does times 10. But more importantly, it actually feels like a tube amp, which in my mind was something that was always lacking with the mp1.

Wanted to give you a little feedback concerning the Studio Preamp..though I love my MTS amp it will not REPLACE the Boogie,which I think is one of the best preamps for it's unique tone and feel. As far as modules go,the Blackface for clean is amazing but different from the boogie. The SL+ and Plexi are dead on marshall tones ...really great..
As far as the boogie lead tone, thats a tough call...probably the xtc comes closest but I also have a Recto replaced with Boogie preamp tubes that sounds similar but a bit too aggresive to compare with the boogie.
Best bet is to combine the mts along with the boogie then you'll be very happy with the tones....

FYI: If you're looking for Recto tone; the only module that will do it is the Lynch Grail module.
Despite the name, the Recto modules doesn't sound like a Recto.

I kept my Recto Recording preamp around until my Lynch Grail module arrived; then there was no longer a need for the Recording Recto pre.

I've never heard anything be able to get 'that' Recto tone other than a Mesa, but the Grail module has got it.

Thanks all!

I have since bought the RM4 and a couple of modules. In the "marshall" section, I have received the Mr Scary module. It does a great job as a high gain plexi but the 3TM still rules for the boosted JCM800 sounds. Much, much more gain and distorsion. They do complement each other quite well.

I still don't have a blackface module so far. The Clean module is really dull compared to the MESA. If the blackface is more satisfying, I think I'll settle for the RM4 and 3TM in my rack. I definitely don't want 3 preamps. Ideally, I would like to get a module that would make the 3TM redundant to have one preamp left. Maybe the SL+ would do.

Jim, regarding the Lynch Grail, I'm sure it would be great. I just scored a 1086 on ebay that should give me enough modern distorsion but I would live to try the grail.

IMO; the 1086 is the most versatile module in terms of usable low gain settings as well as usable high gain settings.

It's been my main high gain module for a long time.
I used it for our last CD and still love it.
Yeah; it's a shame that the 'Recto' module gets dogged for being kinda the most lame module available and that people buy it thinking it should sound like a Recto...and then here comes the Grail module that sounds exactly like what you would think the Recto module should and I bet people don't give it the chance it should get simply because there is little support in local stores for carrying modules for people to test; combined with the fact that Randall hasn't updated their website clips in a LONG time...not that their clips ever really did the modules justice anyways...