Checking bridge and neck pickup balance with my MTS rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
wonder what you guys think, is there an Ok balance between the TB-14 bridge and the Classic Stack 1 single in the neck?

I am still not 100% sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbLr_hUCC0

Rig is RM22 with Judge/Malcolm through a 1973 Marshall straight.

I'd run the neck pickup a tad higher for a bit more output and sligtly thicker sound.

But otherwise it really depends on your music ;)
I tend to use neck and neck+mid only for cleans, never the bridge, so volume differences between neck/bridge aren't that important to me.
If the same applies to you then it would be best to focus on the best tone from each pickup and between sounds (clean+neck and crunch+bridge for instance) instead of their volume balance.

What effects unit is that btw? (on top of the amp)
Don't think I've ever seen that one..

Edit:
With my great link-clicking powers I've found out it's a Korg DL800r, as you were!

m0jo said:
I'd run the neck pickup a tad higher for a bit more output and sligtly thicker sound.

But otherwise it really depends on your music ;)
I tend to use neck and neck+mid only for cleans, never the bridge, so volume differences between neck/bridge aren't that important to me.
If the same applies to you then it would be best to focus on the best tone from each pickup and between sounds (clean+neck and crunch+bridge for instance) instead of their volume balance.

Yeah but problem is I already heightened it to the max :(

Indeed it's a Korg DL8000R. I run it with delays on -25dB, so it's barely noticeable, just a bit of ambience echoes.

I consider adding a 500k resistor to tame the highs of the neck single.

hunter said:
Yeah but problem is I already heightened it to the max :(

I consider adding a 500k resistor to tame the highs of the neck single.

Guys, you have to be extremely careful with pickup height. If the pickup is too close to the strings, you'll have major intonation problems. The magnets are very strong and if you're using heavier gauge strings (I use 10-52 or 11-56's), the issue is greatly exaggerated.

If you're feeling like the pickups aren't balanced, which shouldn't be a major issue unless you're playing live and constantly switching between the front and rear pickups throughout each and every song, you need to swap pickups.

I think if you put a 500k resistor on that neck pickup, you'll hate the tone. My advice is to try something else. Seymour Duncan has a 21 day return policy so contact them no later than 14 days after purchase (not receipt but purchase), get an RMA and try a different model.

Good luck.