Clean Module Modding

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raumulus

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been a long time reader here but only recently signed up since I finally have a few questions that I haven't found answered already (and I finally figured out how to register properly. It keeps trying to take me to some "watcher" website and the code there doesn't work. Stupid).

I read through the schematic of the Clean and Blackface Modules. They appear exactly the same in every way, though I know that's not possible. I'm going to mod my Clean to something closer to a Blackface if not directly to a Blackface.

Does anyone know the changes that need to be made to turn a clean into a Blackface, or have a picture of their Blackface I can use to compare with my clean?

Thank you,
Scott

If you actually look at your Clean module, you'll see that the layout does not look like the .pdf file.

The Clean module has a different PCB board, so it can't be modded to be a Blackface.

It can only be modded to be a Deluxe, and that is one hell of a mod.

Ok, so....

I compared the Deluxe module layout with my Clean module. The mod would be as follows:

Resistors:
Change R1 to 150 ohm 1/2 watt (standard mod for all clean modules, later models already have the right part)
Change R7 to 220K ohms
Change R17 to 4K7 ohms
Change R26 to 1 M ohm

Capacitors:
Swap 22uF cap from C7 to C13
Change C17 to .047uF 630 VDC (you probably have some laying around if you tight modded a high gain module)
Change C16 to .1uF 630 VDC
Change C14 to 220pF
Change C10 to No Part (just remove it)

Potentiometers:
Change bass pot to 250K
Change treble pot to 250K
Change volume pot to 500K

One hell of a mod job. Might be worth it if you can't give the Clean module away (been trying to sell mine for some time, now I'm considering ordering the parts).

how acurate are those PDF files? I really wish I could see a schematic as well.. or at least some close up pictures of the clean and deluxe modules to verify that they are indeed the same board with different parts. I dont really care for my clean and was thinking of trying either a tweed, blackface or deluxe.