Couple RM20 questions.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbause

Reaction score
(head and/or combo)

How loud can it get?
As in can an RM20 head + 212 keep up with a drummer in just a simple jamming situation.

What about the combo?

I'm kind of wanting to get myself something lightweight and movable for tryouts but can also double as a practice amp at home.

I'm interested in this as well...I know my Orange Tiny Terror was like 7/15 watts and it was a surprisingly big volume for a loud practice

The RM20 is freakin' loud...no worries.

I'd get the head/cab setup...but that's just my preference on a closed back cab..well, I didn't like the potential for tube microphonics/ringing at high volumes either.

I believe Pete has even gigged his RM20.

JKD said:

I'd get the head/cab setup...but that's just my preference on a closed back cab..well, I didn't like the potential for tube microphonics/ringing at high volumes either.

my question for you then is it too loud for practice?
I mean should I just stick with my SS practice amp?

kbause said:
JKD said:

my question for you then is it too loud for practice?
I mean should I just stick with my SS practice amp?

You need to ask Pete that..I'm saying it'll rock for both of those applications and you'll love it more than the SS 'coz you can have one of your modules in there...tone changes a little with the EL84s tho'..more rounded, a little looser..crunchier (less headroom).

It should be within less than 5 decibles of the RM50 which is within 3 decibles of an RM100.

You give up clean headroom vs an RM50 or 100... (I own all three currently). Nice thing is, the RM20 head is really small and light - MUCH lighter than an RM50 or 100.

It's not too loud for practice or home use, and you can really get some nice tones out of an RM20 through a 4x12 cab. I did a few small gigs with mine, worked great, but I like having more channels and versatility. However, they still sound pretty cool.

BTW, EL84 will never have the low end punch of the bigger tubes like 6L6 or EL34s, so if you're a diehard metal dude you might want to pass one by because of that.

Pete

I'm not at all really.

Honestly I'm looking at it to fill these things that the RM100 doesn't:

Light/Portable (seems like a check)
Loud Enough to keep up with a drummer
Quiet enough for a practice amp yet sound better than a 15wt SS

And the kicker that gives the RM20 a head up is the direct out recording, as well as being able to crank it for recording with a speaker.

Also the other things I've been considering to fill the spot have been the Orange Tiny Terror and the Egnater Rebel.

Yeah, but you can swap out the modules on a RM20, *and* you get a footswitchable volume or gain boost. Every clip I've done on youtube so far under the 'gigmods' name has been an RM20 head with Randall MTS 2x12 or the combo. :)

Kbause,

I have a Mod50 + cab and I was looking for a grab and go amp for those times when I just don't feel like "moving the circus" for practice.

The RM20 with the Friedman modded Top Boost (thanks Steve) is very versatile and plenty loud for practice---heck I'll probably use it live at times.
FWIW, our band has 2 guitars, bass, drums AND keys--and I have NOOOO problems being heard.

Good luck!

awesome good to hear.

What module do you guys think I should use with it?

Maybe my SL+ with the gain backed down plenty and use my TS808 for dirt?

FWIW, I have a Fulltone OCD and Keeley SD-1.

Between those 2 and the boost, there are plenty of options.

what mod are you using those with though?

whats the boost on the amp like?
a volume boost? gain boost?
comes with a footswitch?

I'm using a Friedman modded Top Boost.

Boost is set up for med gain boost and volume bump--footswitched.

I find the 1086 module the most versatile module with my RM20 combo. You can get nice cleans using the gain switch in the lower position and by rolling the gain back. You also have the flexibility of the of the 2 position gain and mid switches on the module and boost switch on the amp. When I first got my RM20 combo it rattled and sounded like SH**. It doesn't any more. I think the speaker took some time to get broken in or the cabinet finally decided to shut up. It sounds great now and it gets good and loud. I have also ran it through a Mesa Recto 4X12,Genz Benz Gflex 2X12, Marshall 2X12 TSL and Epiphone Valve Junior 1X12 cabs. Love the tone from the Valve Junior Cab!!!