Dave Friedman modded SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman1971

Reaction score
Just got my SL+ back from being modded by Dave Friedman today and it is Smoking!
Just like his modded Brahma but to the NEXT LEVEL! Very saturated with gain but still keeping its Dynamic and very articulate. When you hit the power chord....you hear ALL THE NOTES RING!
SUPER SUPER HOTTRODDED MARSHALL!!
That my friends.....is what its all about!! :D

SacredGroove said:
When you have Friedman modify your modules, do you tell him what you want, is there set of mod's he automatically does, or what? How did you 2 guys go about it?

Thanks!

Just sent mine with no specific instruction, I am sure he has worked on many of teh randal mods and knows what will help make it better, but if you have specific requests, I am sure you could ask.....

Very cool. I've been meaning to send him my plexi module for awhile now.

Mailman1971 said:
Just got my SL+ back from being modded by Dave Friedman today and it is Smoking!
Just like his modded Brahma but to the NEXT LEVEL! Very saturated with gain but still keeping its Dynamic and very articulate. When you hit the power chord....you hear ALL THE NOTES RING!

How different from Mr Scary ?

JKD said:
Mailman1971 said:

How different from Mr Scary ?

the SCARY is pretty dark(GOOD WAY) while the SL+ is sooooo SMOOTH and distorted....its hard to explain....but its DIFFERENT!! You need them both!
2 different sounds that will be coevered by both modules....
KILLER TONES!!! 8)

Dave Friedman has ONE mod for the SL+ module.all you have to do is send it in to him & he'll do the rest...now,between the modded MR SCARY & modded SL+,the SL+ is more of what i wanted out of the MR SCARY.once modded by Dave,the SL+ has quite a bit more gain,has more mids,still tight & punchy,retains clarity,and just sounds fuller & bigger,overall...the modded MR SCARY(or even the stock one) just has too much mids to it for me.it's also a pretty dark-toned module.the modded SL+ is bright & crunchy and has good sizzle to it,yet with a smooth,liquidly feel to it...hands down,i'll take the modded SL+ over the MR SCARY(stock or modded).for true Dokken tones,the SL+ makes more sense,since Lynch was using early 70's "metal-panel" hot-rodded Marshall's for those albums.the SL+ has that bright crunch to it.the MR SCARY is much smoother and really captures a Soldano-style tone,which would be more fitting for the Lynch Mob-era tones,since GL was using SLO-100's at that time......both modules are great,they just serve a different purpose. 8)

I couldnt of summed it up better myself! I have both and when we are playing different songs I will use both, or just pending on what mood I am in and what my ears want to hear. Both sound awesome but different. That modded SL+ is a BEAST though! :wink:

The stock SL+ was pretty great, but after the mod, it just has a bit more clarity, I would say more gain, tighter bass. I like it and will try to post a clip soon.

I am really digging it! Sounds EXCELLENT!! Better than alot of Marshalls I have heard and owned I can tell you that! :D

Dave's SL+ mod is great. Sounds very "hi-fi". The only drawback is you lose the ability to back the gain off for "plexi" type tones. Basically, he turns it into a one-trick pony (balls out distortion), but it's a GOOD trick. 8)

6stringgrind said:
Dave's SL+ mod is great. Sounds very "hi-fi". The only drawback is you lose the ability to back the gain off for "plexi" type tones. Basically, he turns it into a one-trick pony (balls out distortion), but it's a GOOD trick. 8)
Thats where my Friedman modded BRAHMA Steps up to the plate!
KILLER KILLER PLEXI!!! :D

Mailman1971 said:
6stringgrind said:
Thats where my Friedman modded BRAHMA Steps up to the plate!
KILLER KILLER PLEXI!!! :D

BINGO!!! :wink:

******.........I want a Dave Friedman modded SL+ now too... :twisted:
I bet it sounds similar (if not better to the Egnater SL++) I used to have.. :idea:

shred-o-holic said:
I bet it sounds similar (if not better to the Egnater SL++) I used to have.. :idea:
I also had the Egnater SL++ and the Friedman modded one is better. My opinion only. The Egnater SL++ almost sounded like a "metal" module. the SL+ w/ friedman mod sounds more MARSHALL. 8)

Mailman1971 said:
shred-o-holic said:
I also had the Egnater SL++ and the Friedman modded one is better. My opinion only. The Egnater SL++ almost sounded like a "metal" module. the SL+ w/ friedman mod sounds more MARSHALL. 8)

Yeah but I play Metal........now you have me confused... :cry:

I guess this KH-3 module I have to me sounds alot like the Egnater SL++ I had.....but it's been a while.....maybe I'll just stick to it and focus on getting a grail.

Reading all this about the sl+ makes me excited. I just sent out my ultra to Dave and he said he'd cook up something new for it so we'll see how it goes.