Distressed chrome faceplate?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon

Reaction score
I just picked up an old chrome faced module, and thought it could look really cool if I could some how get a patina type of thing going on with it - where you get multiple colors kind of baked in?

Not sure if you can achieve that look with it (is it actually chrome even)? Old copper can sure look cool, so maybe I'm thinking of the wrong kind of finish...

Anyone have an idea on this?

I'd remove the faceplate and use a blow torch to burn the front. Push & pull it in several different locations so you get a blueing or blacking in various spots. You'd most likely lose whatever finish is there as well as the screenprinting, but it would look unique.

speed2dirt said:
I'd remove the faceplate and use a blow torch to burn the front. Push & pull it in several different locations so you get a blueing or blacking in various spots. You'd most likely lose whatever finish is there as well as the screenprinting, but it would look unique.
That would look badass.

And yes, definitely remove the faceplate beforehand :D

I plan to have the module modded any way, so burning off the Randall logo won't break my heart too much :).

Since I don't do much home based arc welding... I think I'll drop in at a local glass blowing studio to see if they might do the burn job.

Thanks for the help! I'll share the after pic once it's done :)

Here's the first step... I went into a local glass blowing shop, and they were very cool about helping me. The owner used a sander to remove the Randall lettering etc. and cleaned off the crazy amount of smutz the previous owner had on the faceplate (not sure where he had this module stored... but it was kind of dirty).

Then he handed me the fire and said "go for it' which ... well I'm not much of an artist in terms of drawing, but I'll admit I had fun doing it!

First shot shows it in the rack - I think it looks pretty **** good - unlikely that I'll keep those knobs once I have the module upgraded (it's a Modern, and well.. it needs to be upgraded sonically as well as visually :)

4-Modules-Sept.jpg

Patina-Face-small.jpg
[/img]

I like that a lot! If you knew a screen printer, you could get new labels put on over top of that. Seriously, it makes me want to go torch one of my stock faceplates.

I can see one of the modders creating a whole line of mods with faceplates like that and calling it the Burnt Series.

Whoa!!! Very cool design! I have a few stock plates laying around and I must try this myself. These modules are just so fun to personalize. It would be cool if you could get that shop to make you some glass knobs. :wink:

Oh you would mention glass knobs... Argh!

Lol I think I'll have to ask what they can do... crystal skull knobs would be all crackpot ancient alien theory cool :)