Do yourself a favor, don't bias tubes to....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
OHMS!!!! I haven't been playing my guitars for a few weeks after I got really pissed when I set my bias to 33mv (JJ 6L6's), checked a few days later (few hours of playing), and they were all evenly down to about 18mv. Couldn't figure out why, reset them to 33, and every module sounded like ****. After an hour of messing with it, stomped off in a huff and haven't entered studio since.

Today I couldn't sleep so I figured I'm already mad, the amp can't make it much worse. Warmed it all up, checked it, and it was still right around 33, still sounded like ****, and I was thinking about how much to ask for my shitty sounding modules!! Then I looked at my meter... DOH!! on the 200 ohm setting. Switched to MV, and bias was set to 56-57mv on all tubes.. reset to 33mv, and all is right with the world.. I didn't even know the test points would read in ohms, not to mention near what the MV reading should be...

Moral to the story - don't have one.. I'm apparently just a jackass!!

Ouch! Yeah Ive been a victim of my own stupidity as well. Its great when it finally all works out. Ive been fighting fuse gremlins and tubes that dont work. Got the amp lined out last night. With a multiple company tubes. :lol:

I've never had a bad tube (knock on wood) but from everything I hear from friends and the net, bad tubes seem to come in waves.. Glad you got it straight..

A mistake anybody could've made, don't feel bad.
BTW If I remember correctly, 6L6s can be set higher> I could be wrong though, but I got mine at 40 and they sound great.